The kabobs, on the other hand, were right up my alley:
Easy Peasy Shish Kabobs
red wine vinegar (I think I used about a cup, but it depends on how much stuff you're marinating)
extra virgin olive oil (a few tablespoons, again, depending on how much vinegar you used)
worcestershire sauce (um... there was maybe two tablespoons left in the bottle, so that's what I used)
garlic powder (several vigorous shakes)
beef, cubed, though I bet this would work with chicken as well
zucchini, cut in generous slices (maybe an inch)
green peppers, cut in inch-ish squares
vidalia or other sweet onion, cut in similarly sized pieces
Mix the first four ingredients in a bowl that's big enough to fit everything else as well. Add in the beef and veggies, then toss to coat. Toss a few more times over the course of (at least) an hour, to distribute the marinade and let it soak in, then skewerize it all. Grill over charcoal until the beef is done; we used the briquettes from Trader Joe's that apparently are made with fewer chemicals, and we were really pleased.
And the ice cream, which was adapted from this recipe:
Mint Chip Ice Cream
.5 c (it's what we had left) 2% milk
2.5 c (or whatever will get you to 3 cups total dairy liquids) whole milk
.75 cup granulated sugar
7 egg yolks
Fresh mint leaves -- I used several sprigs, or maybe .25 c packed
.25 c chocolate chips, chopped
Stir together everything except the egg yolks and .25 c of the sugar in a large-ish saucepan, over medium heat. Once it simmers, remove it from the heat and let the mint steep (the recipe says half an hour, but 15 minutes was just fine), then simmer again.
Add the remaining .25 c of sugar to the egg yolks and whisk in a large heat-proof bowl. Add the newly-re-simmered milk to the bowl gradually, whisking continuously. Once it's all incorporated, pour it back into the saucepan and continue heating and whisking until it thickens enough that it coats the back of a spoon: if you draw your finger across said spoon, the milk should stay where it is and not fill in the line you traced.
Take the ice-cream-to-be off the heat and chill it. The recipe suggested using a larger bowl of ice, but I had a rare moment of patience, I suppose, so I just used the fridge and waited. Once it's cold, put it in your ice cream maker of choice and let it do its thing.
At this point, I contemplated making Mint Fudge Swirl ice cream, because I don't always like having crunchy things added to my ice cream. Mint Chip won out, however, because it's much easier to chop up a handful of chocolate chips than it is to dirty yet another saucepan to make chocolate sauce. Even though I make the best chocolate sauce ever. The chopped up chocolate chips got stirred in at the end.
Sorry, no photos of the finished product. Just these:

3 comments:
thank you for posting this!
kelly
these both sound amazing! I can't wait to start grilling + use that recipe
You're welcome! And they were indeed amazing -- everyone should try them! :)
Post a Comment