Monday, June 20, 2011

The recipe cards are piling up...

There was another successful homemade ice cream project over the weekend, so we have a new recipe card filed away.  (In light of all the ice cream we've been making, I suppose it's a good thing that there was a 5k over the weekend too, but I digress.)

My dad requested "something with blueberries" for a Father's Day dessert.  We had blueberries in the freezer, and we've been keeping general ice cream ingredients in the house for weeks, so the what-to-make decision was simple.  We alllso had a bottle of this blueberry vodka in the freezer, which helped with the flavor as well as the consistency (the alcohol content keeps the ice cream from freezing too solidly).

Now, I'm not a huge fan of fruit ice cream.  Given the opportunity, I'll choose chocolate (or caramel... or peanut butter... or coffee... or or or) any day.  But lemme tell ya, this was GOOD. 

Blueberry Ice Cream
(adapted from this recipe)

2.5 c 2% milk
.5 c sugar
pinch of salt
2 t vanilla extract
3 T cornstarch
.5 oz blueberry vodka
.5 c blueberries, fresh or frozen

Mix 2 cups of the milk with the salt and sugar in a saucepan over medium heat until steaming.  In a separate bowl, whisk the remaining milk with the cornstarch, then add it gradually to the saucepan, stirring constantly.  Keep stirring over medium-high heat, just until boiling, when the mixture starts to thicken.  Reduce heat to low and keep stirring another 5 minutes.  Remove from heat and stir in vanilla, then chill.  Once it's cooled completely, stir in the vodka and put it all in an ice cream maker, adding the blueberries at the end.

I'll be trying this out in different variations, for sure.  Up next is either cinnamon or coconut...

2 comments:

Lynn said...

I'm with you, not a big fan of fruit in my ice cream. However, I do love blueberries and this sounds so good I might need to try it.

craftosaurus said...

Yes, you should! I'm never this impressed by berry desserts.