The irises I posted about last week are, to an extent, out of character for me. Which is to say: I'm a utilitarian gardener. I typically direct my efforts to usable vegetables, fruits, and herbs. Even then, the focus is on items we use a lot, with bonus points for things that are particularly expensive or high on the pesticide quotient when purchased at the grocery store.
I gained a bit of an appreciation for growing flowers last year when we were growing them for our wedding, but I still gravitate toward low-maintenance, nearly foolproof flowers. Irises fit the bill nicely.
What I like even better is that rare trifecta of functionality, visual interest, and the ability to be successful after putting in almost no effort. Enter: chives. I've done nothing since I put them in the ground a couple years ago. They're cute as a button, and if I can remember to harvest them, they're darn tasty.
Hmm. So... what's your favorite way to use chives?


2 comments:
This time of year, when the onions aren't even ready as scallions yet, I use them in everything I would onion. Salads especially, mmm.
Onions! Next year I need to learn how to grow those too!
Post a Comment