Thursday, June 30, 2011

It finally caught up to me.

... my inability to follow a recipe, that is.

I was making a batch of mint chip ice cream last weekend, and I actually measured the ingredients with some degree of precision.  I didn't eyeball any of the quantities, so I was pretty proud of myself.  I'd made the same recipe a few weeks prior, and I thought I remembered the process well enough to recreate it without reading carefully.

I thought wrong.

I tempered the eggs with scalding milk just shy of boiling, then incorporated them back into the saucepan.  I whisked and whisked and whisked, smiling smugly to myself over the nice workout my arm muscles were getting while I cooked. I did not, however, turn down the heat under the saucepan.  When the froth cleared, I had six servings of sweet, minty scrambled eggs to show for it.

Whoops.

5 comments:

Justin said...

I wish I could remember the drink name (I believe we found it in the liner notes of one of our Christmas Cocktails CDs), but my buddy and I decided to make a whiskey drink that involved egg and heat. We poured our glasses and watched as these mystery chunks floated to the top. Basically we drank a whiskey scrambled egg float. “Disgusting” is a fitting word.

craftosaurus said...

Ewwww. Yeah, the minty eggs were served directly to the garbage disposal.

Andria Crowjoy said...

Haha, whoops!

craftosaurus said...

Yeah, I laughed at myself too. Won't make that mistake again!

Lisa said...

I think it may be my hormones, but minty scrambled eggs just made me a little sick! hope your next batch is better