Thursday, June 2, 2011

The KitchenAid has landed!

Back in September, The Awesome Husband and I (when the husband part went into effect) were given a KitchenAid stand mixer and an ice cream maker attachment for it.  Both have been sitting in their respective packaging in our basement since then.  For the long Memorial Day weekend, we set as our only goals finding a proper home for the mixer in the kitchen and taking the ice cream maker attachment for a spin.

The inaugural batch was, to be honest, a little disappointing, though I suspect it's my own fault.  Apparently some flavors allow for lower fat dairy components and others do not. Pumpkin ice cream made with 2% milk, for instance, was underwhelming, and really more like a pumpkin sorbet. Not horrible, but not really what I, at least, was expecting.

Undaunted (well, that, and we were staring at a bunch of 2% milk to use up), we forged ahead.  I suspected that a flavor incorporating fat via other ingredients would be more forgiving of us not using cream or half and half, and I was right.  Chocolate peanut butter worked like a dream.

We used this recipe, but with 2% milk (obviously).  I'd almost hesitate to ever use a richer dairy base for this one, because it's plenty rich as it is.

Somehow, The Awesome Husband and I managed to only eat half of this batch yesterday and save the remainder for today... which is fortuitous because looking forward to it is getting. me. through. my. afternoon.

8 comments:

Meri said...

that looks good!

I love this ginger recipe with a few pecans crumbled in.

craftosaurus said...

Oooh, the ginger ice cream sounds divine! Thanks for the link. :)

Lisa said...

sound so good! ooh I love ginger ice cream, please make that and report back :)

also, I really need that attachment for my mixer!

craftosaurus said...

Oh, I will for SURE report back on the ginger ice cream. Might have to make a batch this weekend now that the chocolate peanut butter is gone (cue sad trombone).

Kelly@TearingUpHouses said...

oooh, pumpkin ice cream! you have to mix some kind of crust into it, too... yum.

kelly

craftosaurus said...

Ooh, Kelly, that's a great idea. If we try pumpkin ice cream with all-out ice cream ingredients, there will totally be crust pieces in the mix.

MrsWhidden said...

thanks for posting the pb ice cream recipe! I am going to make it very, very soon!

craftosaurus said...

You definitely should, Not Jenny! Also highly recommended: the recipe Meri linked to, but using mint leaves instead of ginger (with chocolate added at the end).