Monday, June 6, 2011

Balance. Balance is good.

I utterly failed to tackle three projects I wanted to work on this weekend: cleaning out the fridge, vacuuming out the cars, and sorting through all my clothes to put winter items in storage.

But you know what? I'm totally ok with that.

It certainly wasn't an unproductive weekend. I went for a really great 3.5 mile run Saturday morning, which for me is a great way to kick off (and ensure) a great day.  The Awesome Husband and I wandered through our local farmers' market and picked up tomato and cucumber plants for our garden, as the seeds we started indoors a couple months ago have done pathetically.  And that's being generous.

We also rocked out some gift cards I'd been given over the past year to snag some even more exciting vegetation for the yard: a blueberry bush and a couple of mint plants.  Now, I say "more exciting" mainly because they're new and novel (I've grown tomatoes and cukes for years), and because they're perennials. A plant I don't have to replace every year is a good plant in my book. Plus, the mint plants are a variety called chocolate mint (seriously, you should smell this stuff).  The cukes are decidedly not chocolatey (and if they were, ew), so the mint wins, hands down.

The other thing we bought that I'm irrationally psyched about is a watering can.  We have a rain barrel (haven't had to turn on the outdoor faucet yet this year = conservation and frugality for the win!), and the ability to carry 8 liters instead of 1 with our old watering pitcher is marvelous.  I may have done a happy dance.

When we weren't increasing the awesomeness quotient of the garden, we were likely to be found making or eating some of the best food I've eaten in a good long while.  We stumbled on an amazingly simple and delicious marinade for steak and vegetable shish kabobs that'll be repeated throughout the summer for sure, and we made a batch of mint chip ice cream that I miiiight even like better than last week's chocolate peanut butter (I know, right?  People, this stuff is GOOD). 

Oh, and we revamped an old coffee table.  More on that later.

So yeah, I'm ok with the fact that there's still a bunch of dirt and dog hair on the floors of our cars. It'll wait. I wouldn't trade this past weekend for anything.

5 comments:

Brenda said...

Ummm...I don't think I can let mention of the best marinade ever and mint chocolate chip ice cream go by without begging for the recipes.

Did you use your new chocolate mint in the ice cream?

Brenda (again) said...

Oh. I just noticed that you covered the ice cream recipe 2 posts ago. But the marinade! We must have marinade!

Lisa said...

sounds like an awesome weekend! don't fret that you did not clean out the fridge, that is an awful, no fun task!

craftosaurus said...

Don't you worry, Brenda, I was planning on posting the recipes later this week (I figured today's post had rambled quite enough already).

The chocolate mint plants are a little too small to harvest from right now, but they'll definitely be put to use in a future batch.

craftosaurus said...

Lisa, there was not a moment of fretting. :) No room for fretting in a super awesome weekend like that one!

Next weekend I'll be productive, and that'll make me happy in a more accomplish-y way. Both are important, I think.