I made mittens, you guys!
It took about a weekend's worth of knitting, and while I won't be abandoning my beloved sweaters any time soon, I will say it was nice to have a finished product in (and on!) my hands so quickly.
They're not that warm, though, and that's really the point of mittens, so I might try felting them to see if they get less drafty without getting too small to wear. It's worth a shot, right?


10 comments:
That's it. I need to learn to knit!
Nicely done. I want to learn to knit purely to make fingerless gloves. They're so cozy.
Yay MITTENS!!
Thanks! And you both should definitely learn, if you're so inclined. I taught myself using "Knitting For Dummies."
Ha. Yes, yay MITTENS!
You can try buying some fleece (is it called roving?) and using a crochet hook to loop in lots of little bits of fleece on the inside to make them super warm. If you ever try mittens again the book fox, geese and fences has beautiful patterns for double knit mittens that are super warm - especially in wool after a washing. So toasty! They used to take me 26 hours to make a pair. Yes, I timed it ;)
I am going to try making thrummed mittens this year. It is an ancient technique that allows you to line mittens with unspun fleece as you knit them.
Hmmm... roving, thrummed mittens (thrumming?) --I wonder if there's some overlap of those concepts. I'll have to investigate!
I'm so impressed.
Why thank you, LPC!
Post a Comment