One of the absolute best new skills he's learned lately is the ability to go to off-leash dog parks and not run off into the sunset/after a squirrel/into traffic. Well, honestly, I suspect he's had this skill for a while now, but what's happened recently is that we've had the courage to let him go off-leash and trust him to be a good puppy. Fueled by our own paranoia, we've spent the past year carting around a 50-foot leash on all his adventures to give him the feeling of freedom while still giving us humans a sense of security. Couple that with a plastic baggie full of scraps of american cheese and salami, to be meticulously and consistently deployed when someone's little canine legs carry him back to us, and we've managed to hoodwink him into thinking that it's the best thing EVER to stick with us.
That's him. The fact that he somehow gets the concept of trails mystifies and amuses me.
There's also the convenient part about him being a teensy bit afraid of the whole world, which I suspect keeps him from wandering too far. But also the salami.
Anyway. Being able to let him run and explore and smell the smells and meet other puppies (see? they're not scary!) has been such a turning point. He's gaining confidence, which makes him less likely to have a meltdown on a structured walk when he sees a cat or another dog, and we're feeling better by seeing him make a lot of great progress. All that, PLUS, we don't have to do any fancy double-dutch footwork to keep from being taken out at the ankles by a bright orange leash if he starts running at full tilt. Win, win, win.
His favorite part is always smelling the smells.
This weekend, we spent an hour wandering around a dog park a couple miles from our house. No fences, no leashes. Just acres and acres of trails and fields and a pond. So much to sniff.
One of my other favorite things about Mr. Cecil? He had no interest whatsoever in swimming in that pond. We are so. darn. lucky.




6 comments:
He seems like such a great dog. COngrats on a year together! I hope that there are many, many more years with amazing new things learned.
Aw, thanks! The vast majority of the time he really is a great dog. Plenty of room for continued progress, which is always nice too. :)
I really think pets just make life better :) So glad you have had 56 weeks of him!
Agreed, Farmer Jo! (And hi to Doug!)
That is so great that you're able to let him explore off-leash now! You guys have really done a great job with Cecil. As you probably know, I'm a cat person. Most dogs I can take them or leave them, but Cecil is one of the few puppies I absolutely ADORE and just want to snuggle with! And that says a lot for both him and you and the Awesome Husband, because the dogs I do like? Are all extremely well-behaved. :)
That's lovely to hear! High praise! Thanks, Kate. :)
Post a Comment