Friday, November 4, 2011

Boring Beer, Just the Way We Like It.

We just sampled our latest batch of homebrewed beer, a caramel apple dortmunder.  The dortmunder is from a kit; The Awesome Husband added apples and, um, special kinds of malts? I think? to achieve a caramel-ish effect.

It's pretty good.  There's a noticeable but not overpowering apple flavor, and  perhaps not as much caramel flavor as I'd like (but then I do love me some caramel so I might not be the best person to judge).

The best part by far is the fact that opening the bottles has been uneventful and catastrophe-free.  We thoroughly enjoyed seeing geysers in Iceland but we don't need them in our kitchen.

6 comments:

Lance said...

I usually don;t associate apple flavor with beer but I'm willing to try that. It looks delicious.

craftosaurus said...

Yeah, I know what you mean. Without the caramel to smooth it out, the apple idea wouldn't appeal to me either. It works pretty well in practice though (thankfully).

L said...

Ethan just made a beer with a larger than usual amount of malt. It fermented so much that it came out the air lock at the top! We are hoping it didn't get contaminated. Also, we haven't bottle yet, but I hope it's done by the time we do and we don't have any explosions.

craftosaurus said...

Oh wow. Yeah, fingers crossed for no explosions. Do you have a big plastic container you can put the bottles in just in case?

Cameron said...

I'd try that... mmm.

craftosaurus said...

It's pretty tasty!

So far my favorite homebrews have been inspired by dessert items. I wonder how one would make a chocolate-espresso-cheesecake flavored beer?