Friday, October 14, 2011

time warp

Is it weird to do a more thoughtful, introspective blog post on a Friday afternoon? It feels out of place when the rest of the internet is all "gah, I can't think anymore. here, look at this picture of a kitten in a hat!"

For a while now I've been trying to figure out why The Awesome Husband and I never seem to have enough time. We don't see friends and family as often as we like because we're constantly feeling like any precious free time needs to be spent decompressing and de-stressing. It's especially perplexing because we don't have children to look after (the pup is a lot of work, but I'm sure kidlets are a whole other ballgame), and The Awesome Husband isn't currently working 40 hours most weeks. Running the household should not be this hard.

I had an epiphany, though, as I was feeding boneless pork chops through a food mill to be ground up and turned into filling for baked egg rolls. In one sense, we live as though it's 1954. Obviously, I don't mean that our lives are 1954-esque in the sense of a wife maintaining the home while her husband goes off to work. Around here, the reverse if the norm more often than not. And I definitely don't mean it in the sense of getting all dressed up for dusting, because really, who dusts these days?

We tend to be a bit retro, though, when it comes to how we get things accomplished around the house. We try to live in accordance with our values (frugal/healthy/environmentally sustainable), so we do things like dry our laundry outside in the summer, reserving the dryer for rainy or cold weather. We grow a lot of our own vegetables, watering the garden from a rain barrel rather than a hose hooked up to the water supply. We make pretty much all of our own food -- not to the level of churning our own butter or anything, but we certainly don't buy a lot of processed or otherwise "convenient" foods (sliced bread, bran cereal, and granola bars are about the extent of it in a normal week). There's never been a dishwasher in our kitchen, and when our microwave died a couple years ago, we purposefully never replaced it.

For the most part these are all things we do happily and by design.* We don't really take anything to the point where it becomes unpleasant. I mean, if the tomato plants have a bad year, we just go out and buy tomatoes at the store. We're lucky like that. But there's nothing like a salad made entirely out of vegetables that you grew -- or our really low utility bills, for that matter.

The catch, though, is that a lot of this stuff takes extra time. Science and technology as a sociological catalyst, allowing households to run more efficiently and thus freeing up time for both spouses to work: that's great in theory, unless you opt out of many of those time-saving advances. And when one spouse works part time while the other works more than 40 hours a week, it's essentially the equivalent of having both people working, which of course is the expectation now for households without small children.

I suspect there may not be an actual solution here. I mean, there's very little chance that we'll just up and decide to have frozen pizza for dinner every night to save time. No way, no how. I'll have the pesto and spinach stuffed pork chops with bakes sweet potato fries, thankyouverymuch. (Did I forget to mention as one of our core values that we love-love-love good food?)

It is nice, though, to come to this realization that we're tired and we don't have as much time as we'd like because we're living the lives we want to live. It's so much better than thinking "what is WRONG with us?"



*The exception? Dishes. Oh man, the dishes. We would install a dishwasher in a heartbeat if we could.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

"as I was feeding boneless pork chops through a food mill to be ground up and turned into filling"

Yeeeah, I can safely say I have *never* done that. In fact I don't think I've ever even *seen* a food mill. (Plus I don't perform any labor whatsoever having to do with textiles, or with growing anything.

craftosaurus said...

We actually have a food mill attachment on our stand mixer, so I suppose there's some technology being leveraged there. Honestly, we use it most frequently to make Cecil's food. (Yes, he gets homemade food, per the vet. Sigh.) The egg rolls are the inaugural people food concoction involving meat ground here in the kitchen.

Andria Crowjoy said...

I know you know I know of what you speak. It's all about priorities I guess.

craftosaurus said...

Oh yes, I know you know when what I'm talkin about. ;)

Sometimes I wish sleep wasn't as high a priority for me!

craftosaurus said...

Whoops, superfluous "when" courtesy of my phone. :)

Anonymous said...

Perhaps the solution is for you to invite friends and family over to partake of your delicious cooking and drink some homebrewed beer more often. I know for a fact that you both are excellent hosts.

craftosaurus said...

Why thank you for the compliment! Sometimes there's a bit of an increase in stress when we have folks over ("is everything ready? they'll be here soon!") but then on the other hand, it motivates us to get the house more clean/organized, so there's the stress-reducing effects of having our surroundings closer to what we what them to be, so...

Our Little Beehive said...

We live the same way and spend most our free time working on renovations, but the key is that IS decompressing time to me. I work myself to exhaustion every night.

One of the big things that helps us is that we cook for 4-6 and freeze 2-4 portions every single time we cook. So there are plenty of days when I don't feel like cooking (or now where the thought of cooking may make me heave) but we have a home cooked meal. We never eat out, we can't afford it, and frozen pizza? Yes, I made 6 pizzas with ingredients from the garden and froze them in slices. I'll do it again in 4-6 months when we run out. When I need ground meat I pull out one of the 1lb portions I froze when I ground 10lbs of boneless chicken breast last month. Why would I do them in single batches and have to clean the grinder ten times!? Pesto on pork chops? I made 12 batches of pesto in June. There are 36+ portions in the freezer.

I only go to the grocery store once a month because it's a waste of time and gas and we'll spend more money over the course of the month v. $350 in one fell-swoop (except to have S pick up fresh veggies and milk on his way home).

The only time I get really stressed is when we haven't kept on top of things around the house because I do keep things uncluttered and clean - we spend 10 minutes every day cleaning up, it makes weekends so much better. Or when S leaves for two weeks unexpectedly and I'm suddenly left with a hell of a lot more work than on a regular day. And yes, I dust every week, usually while on the phone catching up with and maintaining my friendships, because friends and family are far more important than cooking a fresh meal every single night. And in regards to seeing friends in person, I find that it's far easier to say no to an invitation from a friend than to actually get together, but the results from spending two hours with a friend last far longer and are far more gratifying than whatever I would have done otherwise.

I don't think living 1954 needs to be a burden, but when you have one person working 40 hours and the other working 60 during the 50% of the time they're even home at all, you need to figure out where you can over-produce or over-achieve one day to make six other days easier, if that makes any sense. Plus, salad is a really good dinner, especially at the beginning of the month when there are five different cheeses to choose from in the fridge ;)

and I've needed 9-16 hours of sleep a day(!) for the past 8 months to be able to function at all, so I definitely hear you on valuing sleep!!

craftosaurus said...

Oh goodness, if working myself to exhaustion helped me decompress, then yes, I think that would solve a lot. Alas, it doesn't. :)