Friday, October 28, 2011

From the garden: golden raspberries

We're supposed to get 3 to 6 inches of snow tonight.  Snow, people.  Snow. In October.

I figured I'd salvage the last one or two golden raspberries from the garden, to freeze and then toss in a bag with the others we've picked since August.  Freezing them in the freezer is of course preferable to freezing them inadvertently on the vine.  The plants apparently didn't get the memo about it being decidedly not ripening weather these days, because a whole slew of them were ready and just begging to be saved.

In related news: what does one do with about a cup and a half of frozen golden raspberries?  It's not nearly enough to make jam, but they're already frozen, so not great for putting on cereal or the like.

Any ideas?

7 comments:

Social Ninja said...

Make a small amount of ice cream topping for them?

I would have eaten them. The whole cup and a half. Raspberries are one of my favorite things.

fibby said...

muffins!

Melissa said...

Pancakes

Farmer Jo said...

I 2nd the pancakes - with some nutmeg in the mix. mmmm

craftosaurus said...

Ooh, good ideas all around!

(It actually wasn't a cup and a half all at once. That's how much we've gotten for the whole season. Pick five berries, wash 'em, freeze 'em, add them to the bag. The next day, pick four berries, wash 'em, freeze 'em, add them to the bag. And so on.)

Andria Crowjoy said...

It's enough for a tiny bit of jam!

craftosaurus said...

Hmm, you think so? How tiny? I mean, it cooks down a lot, right? If it would be the amount to put on one piece of toast, I might not have the motivation necessary ....