Wednesday, February 8, 2012

It's the most wonderful time of the year.

With temperatures in the mid-forties one day and in the teens the next, it might also be the most maddening time of the year. 

But sticking with the positive for a bit: gardening season will be here soon.  One has to use that nebulous term, "soon," when dealing with the end of winter, but it's ok. 

We're closer than we were last month to planting seeds in miniature pots, while contemplating the possibilities of the summer ahead. Soon we'll be emptying last year's containers (spring is when everyone does that, right?) and marveling at how that mass of moving dirt -- no, wait!  those earthworms -- can survive the winter, thaw themselves out, and keep right on truckin'.  Before we know it we'll be methodically plucking the tiniest of new weeds from among the baby lettuces and spinaches and beets in their as yet undefinable rows. 

Let's not think about the vile white grubs we'll slide gingerly onto the end of a trowel and fling to the end of the driveway, or the beetles we'll crush with nearly our bare hands. (A couple of folded tomato leaves are a sufficient barrier from insect ick, yes? psychologically, at least, for the beetles, and that's what counts.) 

Rather, let's look forward to the excitement of finding new buds on this plant, and that one! and another over here!  And for now, let's read and scheme and plan and anticipate.

Happy Almost Gardening season to all who celebrate.

17 comments:

EmmaNadine said...

I just ordered $200 worth of plants to put into a big flowerbed we're adding this spring. Happy almost gardening season to you, too.

It's snowing and sticking outside.

Social Ninja said...

You're making me long for spring even more lady. I'm so ready to see green things.

Lynn said...

I am ready too, but I know it's just false hope that it's right around the corner. I have a feeling March is going to be our January this year!

Farmer Jo said...

I can't wait for planting. I was thinking of putting peas in this weekend...not knowing if we are gonna move or not has be unsure what to do for a garden this year.

Erin said...

I'm starting seeds THIS WEEKEND. I am so stoked for garden season!

tearinguphouses said...

this year i will try a real garden! i will dammit!

craftosaurus said...

Exciting, EmmaNadine! Whatcha gonna plant?

craftosaurus said...

Sorry, Social Ninja. ;) Would houseplants tide you over?

craftosaurus said...

Lynn! Bite your tongue! (though I suspect you're right...)

craftosaurus said...

That's tricky, Farmer Jo. Focus on containers, perhaps? I think you should still plant peas, though, even if you might sell them with the house. They're so good, I think the possibility if eating them is worth it.

craftosaurus said...

Erin, YAY! What kind of seeds?

craftosaurus said...

Kelly, you should (as long as it would be fun... garden o' stress kind of defeats the purpose).

Andria Crowjoy said...

Infectious! I'm doing labor stuff on nice days... moving trellises and cardboard, making decisions about what will go where. I haven't even ordered my seeds yet, which makes me both anxious and relieved. :D

Andria Crowjoy said...

Also, I keep flat rocks around in my garden, usually holding weed barrier down, but they're also a great place to put a bug to smash with another rock.

craftosaurus said...

Oooh, bug sandwich on rocks. Good idea, Andria!

L said...

I meant to comment earlier, but I have that same guide to organic gardening! Mine is a little worse for the wear because it got left out in the rain. :(

craftosaurus said...

Bummer! It's really helpful though, eh?