You can find the "official" (yeah, those are air quotes) explanation of the Copycat Project by clicking on the tag at the end of the post, but the long and short of it is this: I haven't updated my blogroll in forever and a day, and rather than update it now, I find it much more fun to tell you incrementally about blogs I read (that, uh, you might want to read too, if that wasn't already obvious). Each blog gets its own post, written in the style of, or about the topic of, the recommended blog. Hence the fun little "Copycat Project" name.
Today I'm suggesting that you go and check out Sally McGraw's blog, Already Pretty. She's witty and articulate with an infectious sense of confidence; she talks about wearing clothes you love and clothes you feel your best in (with bonus points if you can find said clothes for a song).
Go figure, I found a piece of clothing that fits that criteria.
Actually, there's a bit more of a story here than just "it's pretty and I love it." A few weeks ago, I became inspired to scout out a thrift store. No particular reason. I just felt like going thrifting. I'm not the type to go shopping without something specific in mind that I need to buy, so I found it odd. So odd, in fact, that I mentioned it, and my friend Andria had an interesting reaction: she insisted that I follow through on my hankering for a thrifting mission, because that very hankering indicated that there was an item out there waiting for me.
Now, Andria is one of the wisest people I know, and I'm always impressed by how connected she is to the world around her in ways that are just beyond my thorough comprehension. She gives excellent advice, and I've learned to heed it. (She does, however, need to get her blog of dessert recipes going again so I can link to her as well, but that's for another day.)
The first two shops had nothing that caught my eye. A little discouraged, I figured I'd given it a good shot but hey, nobody's right all the time. I forgot about it for a few days. Then the Awesome Husband mentioned he was in the market for one of those vintage plaid shirts with the mother-of-pearl buttons (he's broadening his own sartorial horizons, apparently -- to great effect, I might add), so off we went to shop number three. I mean, that one's the charm, right?
There it was, waiting for me. Fun and bright and versatile, and just what I didn't realize I was looking for.
Lessons learned:
- Always listen to Andria.
- Things will turn out the way they should if you give it time.
- A $6 dress can make your week.
Thursday, February 2, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

14 comments:
Gorgeous dress! And she is wise far beyond her years!
Thank you! And indeed, true story. :)
LOVE it!
Thanks! :)
Oh, now that dress is just MARVELOUS, lady! And thanks for the shout-out!
Thanks and you're welcome, Sal! :)
Oh wow, I love that dress!! Looks gorgeous on you too, lady. :)
And yes. Andria is wise indeed. I absolutely love the idea that if you have a hankering for thrifting, it means something is out there waiting for you. (Think that theory works with boyfriends too?!)
PS - The captcha for my comment is amoze. You are amozing! :P
Awesome find! I like thrifting occasionally, but I never find anything that good!
Kate, there is nothing about that comment that I don't adore. Awesome all around!
Lynn, I think the trick apparently is that you have to have zero idea what it is you're looking for. ;)
That's a great dress, and it looks terrific on you! And I agree about always listening to Andria. She's a smart cookie.
Thanks, L!
Love it! What a great score!
I know, right? The price might be my favorite thing about it.
I was inspired by your post, so when I dropped off some donations at Sally Ann last weekend, I went in a poked around. I came out with a dress very similar to yours! Knee-length sundress in cotton poplin with an abstract flower print. Mine is brown and turquoise on a white background. :)
So I guess this is a copycat of a copycat?!
Post a Comment