Friday, January 2, 2009

Public Service Announcement

People, do not, I repeat, DO NOT buy store-bought, jarred hot fudge ever again. Seriously. Prince Charming and I ended a lovely New Year's Eve dinner (stayed in but got dressed up anyway) with sundaes, topped with the following Yummiest Sundae Sauce Ever:

(found through epicurious.com, originally appearing in Bon Appetit, December 2000)

Put a half a cup of water, a cup of sugar, and a half a cup of unsweeted cocoa powder in a small pot. Whisk constantly over medium-high heat until the consistency changes from liquid to slightly thicker than liquid, wherein bubbles formed from the heat of the oven move more slowly, and the whole thing more closely resembles molten goo. At this point, add 4 tablespoons of peanut butter (could probably get away with lower fat stuff, but probably not the natural, need-to-stir-it kind, though that would be good to try and even better if it works, from a wholesome foods, fewer chemicals standpoint) and keep whisking over medium heat for a couple more minutes. Remove from heat, allow to cool enough so as not to burn the roof of your mouth. That's it. Simple and amazingly delicious.

Now that I've fulfilled my civic duty in spreading chocolately goodness throughout the land, I've also got a pictorial knitting update. First, proof that I've been working on Francis Revisited:


I've actually gotten very nearly to the bottom hem by now, but the pictures I took that captured the progress in its entirety didn't really do the yarn justice. This one's prettier.

I also finished a scarfy version of Clapotis this morning. It's destined to be gifted, even though it's pretty and silky soft and so lovely I've decided I'll need to make one for myself before long, my aversion to knitting non-sweaters notwithstanding. (I also made a miniature Clapotis to be gifted to a person who is age- and height-appropriate for it, but didn't take any pictures. If the recipient likes it and will stand still for more than two seconds in front of a camera, perhaps a photograph will be forthcoming.) Anyway, the adult-sized Clapotis, scarf-style (better color accuracy in the second photo):





Thermal hasn't been touched in weeks. I also knit up a fluffy-soft scarf in some random mohair blend, resulting in a piece that looks a lot more labor intensive than it really was. Will probably be given as a belated holiday gift. More sweater knitting is on tap for 2009, that's for sure. Right now, though, that sundae sauce is calling my name...

No comments: