Thursday, January 8, 2009

Craftosaurus and The Awesome Boyfriend Venture to the Big City

That's right, folks. A mini-travelogue for you today, complete with photos.

We departed for The Big City by rail transport, earlier than I'd've even wanted to be awake, never mind out of the house and functioning. It meant, however, that we were in The Big City before mid-morning and had the whole day ahead of us.

First stop was the natural history museum of a prominent and reknowned university. By unintentionally taking the extremely scenic route, we managed to find it after just about an hour of brisk walking. Once inside, though, we saw, among other things, this fossil of a 40-foot prehistoric marine creature:

It was thiiiiis big!


From there, we met up with a good friend of The Awesome Boyfriend for lunch and a few pints of Guinness at an Irish pub that was pleasant enough, particularly considering its nondescript location nextdoor to a FedEx location.

Blurriness due to lack of flash, rather than intoxication.


Lunch and beer having taken the lion's share of the afternoon (and that, of course, always being the mark of a lovely time with great people), our plans to visit the Fancy Schmancy Art Museum had to be scrapped, so as to meet more fun people for dinner, specifically, a friend from college and her husband. By the time I'd enjoyed my chicken with capers and olives and mushrooms and anchovies in white wine sauce, and half a cannoli, it was not a minute later than 8:30 and yet, exhaustion had set in. The Awesome Boyfriend and I headed off to catch our train north, but not before making sure to get photographic proof of the visit.

It was cold, so I wore a big hat.


We were left with about two hours of spare time, during which neither The Awesome Boyfriend or I had enough energy to do much more than read or knit, respectively, and people-watch. A group of sports fans and their VERY intoxicated friend came through in strong fashion. Thanks, guys.

Oh, but The Awesome Boyfriend did bring out the camera during the wait in the train station. Considering the amount of sleep I'd gotten, the amount of time I'd then been awake, and the distinct lack of make-up or hair-brushing that had happened in the preceding several hours, this is the face I made:

4 comments:

Heather said...

Yay for happy trips with the Awesome Boyfriend. I definitely recommend the bus though. It runs every hour. The romance of the train loses something when it is preceeded by two hours of sitting around North Station!

(Word verification: pacalime. Sounds like either a nice yarn for a sweater or something to make a drink with!)

craftosaurus said...

Ha! Pacalime! Yarn to use whilst sipping a drink? :)

Andrea said...

That last picture is ADORABLE!

craftosaurus said...

Thanks! :D