Monday, January 16, 2012

anti-resolutions

Are you sick of reading blog posts full of resolutions for 2012? If so, you're in luck, because this isn't one.

Last year I set 6 goals for myself, and I did pretty well with them for the most part. They're all things that I'll continue to be mindful of in a general sense, but nothing's getting added to the list for 2012. Does anyone else feel like 2012 is going to be infinitely better than 2011, but in a challenging, exciting way that just might sneak up on you if you're not careful?

So, instead of listing new items to tackle, new things to improve, new brass rings to reach for, I'm going to take a deep breath and let some stuff go. These are the things I've given myself permission not to worry about. They're admirable goals for many, and I'm sure they would be rewarding and wonderful and bring much joy to my life, but I have to be realistic about what I can and can't fit into my life. Here's what just doesn't make the cut:

- I'm not a voracious reader. There, I said it. I can't remember the last time I read a novel. Slowly chipping away at about one work of nonfiction per month, on a topic that will help me in other areas of my life, is all I can do these days.

- I don't volunteer my time anywhere. If I didn't need sleep and thusly had an extra eight hours a day, sure, this is where some of that time would probably go. But I do need my sleep, and I have barely enough time for the things I want to accomplish in my own household. Whatever good karma I pick up from being friendly and holding doors open for strangers will have to be enough.

- I will not open an adorable etsy shop to sell handmade items. This one was a close call -- while I was churning out christmas tree ornaments (miniature mittens!) last month to give to family members, my mind started to wander to that very dangerous place where I weigh the value of my time against how long it takes to knit a mitten the size of a tablespoon. No. Knitting is fun, not a chore. Let's keep it that way, self.

- I don't do yoga. For the past three years I've had the opportunity to try yoga classes for free (thanks to one of the vouchers in this awesome local publication) and still it hasn't happened. If that isn't a sign, I don't know what is. Give me a treadmill and angry music in my headphones, thank you very much.

- ... That being said, I will never run a road race of a distance longer than a 10k. It would be great to be able to say I've run a marathon or a half-marathon, but it's not in the cards. Yes, this means I won't get to put a 26.2 or a 13.1 sticker on my car. It's ok.


I think by focusing on what's realistic and not letting myself be dragged down by guilt about what's not, I'll be able to accomplish a lot more overall. Right? Right. Either way, my shoulders feel so much better with less weight on them.

8 comments:

Maggie said...

I love this. I tend to beat myself up over things I "should" be doing (or not doing), and then sometimes when I'm in a gentler mood, I analyze my thoughts and realize... I'm not sure why I carry around this guilt. They might be good activities for someone else, but there's no rule that says *I* must do the same or else I'm giant failure or something.

"I will never run a road race of a distance longer than a 10k"

I have to make peace with this over and over again. Running long distance is so in vogue right now; seems like at least 1/2 my friends are in training for some race or other. And I... I have flat feet and knees that sometimes act up. I've done some research/experimentation and decided running is NOT the best exercise for my body, but I still feel a vague sense of guilt when I see all the triumphant half-marathon photos on facebook. Honestly, I don't even plan to run a 5k. And I get plenty of other exercise-- but for some reason, this isn't "good enough" to squelch the nagging feeling that I should be running.

Last year, I let myself off the hook about blogging (I prefer commenting, if I have the time), and I feel such relief, LOL. I'm sure I could think of many more anti-resolutions...

Farmer Jo said...

Love it! I think this is a great way to start the year. Guilt free and knowing yourself best

Social Ninja said...

I love this. This year, I am going not going to try to cut (reasonable, moderate amounts of) sugar out of my diet. I only ever end up feeling bad about failing at it, so I'm going to give myself permission to eat cake.

Lynn said...

I am with you on all of them except the reading! I try not to do resolutions either. I always have a list, but never resolutions.

craftosaurus said...

Maggie, I go back and forth between the guilt and being able to let it go, too. I wrote this out here (and oh man, it was so freeing!) in large part so I can come back and read it the next time I get discouraged about what I'm not doing.

Yes, not everyone has to do the same activities or have the same goals -- that's such a good way to frame it.

Thanks for commenting! :)

craftosaurus said...

Thanks, Jo! Knowing myself (and being honest with myself) might be my focus/theme for 2012.

... um, not that one needs to have a focus or theme for each year... ;)

craftosaurus said...

Ooooh, Social Ninja, cutting out sugar is a good one! That's also on my mental list of "I should be the type of person who does that," but nope, not happening. Please pass the chocolate...

craftosaurus said...

Lynn, yes, exactly, I love lists. I think they're really helpful as long as they stay fun and not stressful. For all the things I'm not doing, I do really enjoy making improvements to myself and my life -- the ones that make sense for me.