Sunday, January 2, 2011

Nothing gets done until Item Seven gets done. Ahem.

Over the past few days, I've been reading lots of reflection on the past year and contemplation of the one ahead. Bloggers sure are an introspective bunch.
In terms of reflecting on 2010, suffice it to say that mine rocked.

It's been fascinating reading about others' resolutions, though, and I can't help but think about what I've got on my agenda for 2011 as well.

*Eat more vegetables (quantity and variety), even when the garden isn't churning out deliciousness. From June to October, when I can walk twenty feet out my door and find some sustenance that's not only healthy, but interesting ("look what I grew!"), I'm good. I need to keep that progress going rather than standing in the produce section of the grocery store, staring blankly at the options in front of me and thinking "broccoli again. sigh." CORROLLARY: Learn how to perserve by canning.

*Drink more water. I don't drink a whole lot of stuff that isn't water on a daily basis, but I get to the end of far too many work days and realize I haven't consumed any liquid at all.

*Build on the training progress we're having with our new furry friend. We've got sit, stay, wait, shake, touch (he touches his nose to our hand), leave it, find it, and in your crate down pat (for the most part), but it would be great to have those things mastered even when a truck, cat, squirrel, or other dog is going by. Slow and steady wins the race, right?

*Keep on keepin' on with the running. This one's tough because I'm absolutely motivated to run, but my bursitis-riddled knees and my plantar-fascitis-prone feet are not. I guess the solution for 2011 is to do the boring physical therapy exercises I know I should be doing to keep those maladies at bay. Even though my time is limited and if I only have 20 minutes to work out, I'd really like to use them pumping up my adrenaline with some speedwork and angry music, (pout-pout-pout) the puny little "flex your leg muscles" things will have to win out more often than not.

*Sift through the house to separate unwanted or no longer needed items and send them on their merry way. The lucky survivors from this project should be organized in a more logical manner. The potato masher, for instance, shouldn't have to live out its days in a jumble of whisks and mixer beaters. And scissors. And packing tape. You get the idea.

*Put more effort into wearing outfits that make me feel confident and happy. My workplace is very permissive with its dress code. I could wear jeans and a sweatshirt most days if I so chose (I don't). I do, however, wear jeans and my go-to shirts more often than I'd like. I made an effort toward the end of 2010 to use more accessories, and that was pretty fun, so for 2011 I think I might try to face my fear of bracelets and patterned fabrics.

Woah, six goals, I think that's probably enough. Oh heck, let's make it seven: wrap up Project "Make the Bathroom Less Ugly." Seeing as how we currently have NO working plumbing in it at all, we're super motivated to have that happen as soon as possible.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so not a fashionista, but I do love my everyday jewelry.

Don't fear the bracelets!

Kelly@TearingUpHouses said...

have you tried running in the water? you can run in the water with a noodle or floatie belt thingy (or nothing even) and put virtually no pressure on your joints. plus, you still get the high and the burn. the closest thing to actual running.

kelly

Bread and Circuses said...

I'm going to start laying the tile out today and get ready for adhering it tomorrow. Come on thinset...

craftosaurus said...

MOMP, I think bracelets make my hands look weird, but I'll try to be brave. I did pick up a couple of headbands, though. Scary in their own way.

Kelly, you're right, I should totally do that. The one time I went to water aerobics, it kicked my tookus (but not my joints).

SBC, hooray! COME ON, THINSET!