Friday, January 21, 2011

To tweet or not to tweet...

So.  Talk to me about Twitter.  Worth my time?  Not worth my time?

I actually already have an account and a grand total of two tweets under my belt.  Those were done for a very particular purpose (and I gotta say, Twitter came through for me like a champ), and I didn't have any additional time then, in August, to spend tweeting.  Whether I do now is debatable, I know, but for whatever reason it's started to cross my mind: should I start tweeting? Following others who tweet?  Figuring out what the @s and #s mean?

Who thinks it's worth it (and why), and who doesn't (also why)?

12 comments:

Justin said...

I'm almost there and I don't even know why.

craftosaurus said...

Yeah, Justin, you pretty much summed up in nine words what I was trying to convey. (Look at you, bein' all succinct!)

Justin said...

It's what I do. I summarize really, really well. And yet here we are, no resolution.

Heather said...

it is really not all that different than facebook. I have them both open all day and mostly just casually read other people's tweets the same way I read their facebook posts... and sometimes I tweet something and it carries through to my facebook so...

the one big difference is that on twitter you can "follow" people who really aren't your "friends" but who you find interesting or whatever -- it doesn't have to be mutual.

L said...

I am totally not down on twitter. I think the constant access tempts people to tweet too many boring details about their lives ("just bought new faucets. Yay!") and I don't want that temptation. I mean, my facebook updates are often boring enough.

There are times when it's useful though, like when you want a whole bunch of people to get the same information at once. For example, my friend who owned a business transporting medical patients between locations used twitter to let everyone know where she and the patient were (families and healthcare professionals). So I can see why twitter is useful.

I just find it annoying when I get on facebook and I read 10 tweet status updates in a row that don't even interest me. See: my dorky Star Wars friend, who finds it necessary to tweet every Star Wars thought that ever enter his head, god help him.

Social Ninja said...

Someone once said (on Twitter) that Facebook is for strangers who used to be friends, but Twitter is for strangers who should be friends. I've found it to be pretty true.

I find that I get a lot more enjoyment (and entertainment)out of Twitter these days than Facebook. I also get a lot more in the way of news and interesting articles from Twitter than I do from Facebook. For me, it's worth it.

~ Elly ~ said...

I think what made of sun said is very true. I have completely different people on each, with a couple of overlaps.

Anonymous said...

I'm in Made of Sun's camp.

There's a learning curve, and Twitter definitely gives more back the more you put in, interaction breeds interaction.

That said, Twitter is forgiving. You can come and go as you please.

And I have actually made friends via Twitter, whereas half the people I'm friends with on fb I could actually not care less about.

Bread and Circuses said...

I've given it some thought too, primarily because our phone has a shortcut pre-programmed into it. Yes, its mostly lazy curiosity.

craftosaurus said...

Wowza! You guys had a lot to day in the time it took to tile a bathroom wall. Thanks, all, for the insight!

And now, I shall commence (continue, really, but "commence" is such a superior word) mulling.

Our Little Beehive said...

Eeuh, I'm not interested just because I don't have enough time in the day for everything I want to do anyway. I'd much rather do something productive around our house than catch up on twitter for 30minutes. I find the tweets that are fed through facebook to be incredibly annoying. I like once-in-a-blue-moon updates from people. I couldn't care less about play-by-play sports updates and exactly what someone is buying at the grocery store. It seems like they each serve different purposes and the two should not be meshed. I just don't think twitter lends itself to the kind of information I want to get from the 'net.

craftosaurus said...

Bee, will Facebook let you hide all the stuff fed from Twitter? Or does it not work that way?