Thursday, January 13, 2011

The Sincerest Form of Flattery: Part Five

I'd actually been planning to tell you guys about Squirrel over at The Nuthouse in a Copycat Project post with photos from a fun outdoorsy adventure. It'll be a while before Mr. Stupendous and I go kayaking, that's for sure, and even for hiking, I prefer to wait until the trails are ice-free before venturing out (I swear, I must have some sort of inner ear issue that explains my clumsiness). It's snowshoeing season, but who am I kidding, there won't be time for that until we wrap up the bathroom renovation in 2015. (Sigh.)

So! In the meantime, go read about Squirrel's travels. And hoo boy, do you want to check this out: she lived in Alaska, now lives in Australia (I know, right?), and makes a point of getting out and enjoying all the cool stuff there is to do in her area.

Another fun thing Squirrel blogs about -- and I'm looping back to the point of my post, so stick with me here -- is home brewing. She and her husband started brewing beer in part to avoid having to buy it in Australia (apparently it's pretty spendy) and have found that they quite enjoy it. A few days ago she talked about some of the beers they've concocted recently, and that reminded me that I never blogged about our sophomore brewing effort. Ta-dah:




It looks pretty much the same as our first beer, the Dark Horse Porter, but you'll have to take my word for it: that there is Christmas Cookie Ale. And it was good. (Yes, it's gone. Single tear.) We took a kit for a nut brown ale and added a hint of cinnamon and vanilla.* The flavors were more subtle than I expected, but I think that was for the best, and it might be one of my favorite beers ever. We've decided to make a double batch next year and make it our annual holiday brew.

Have I mentioned I'm disappointed it's gone?




* When I say "we," of course, I mean that Mr. Stupendous did all the actual brewing. I came up with the idea to add the cinnamon and vanilla, and the name. That counts as helping, right?

7 comments:

Justin said...

I wonder if one day homebrewing will reach a point where it eclipses buying beer from brewers. We just share amongst one another as a beer swilling people. Oh to dream.

Also, who's that handsome beer model in the background, just hanging out and Livestrong-ing?

Bread and Circuses said...

Honey, you did more than concocting the idea you helped in the process and also bottling. AND...you came up with the idea!

Bread and Circuses said...

I think the day is coming where we just trade homebrews with others. Soon.

craftosaurus said...

Justin, by the looks of his outfit, I'd say it's either Superman or Paul Bunyan.

Mr. Circus, yes, coming up with the idea should definitely count twice. :)

L said...

Maybe Superman and Paul Bunyan are actually the same guy! I mean, no one's ever seen them together, right? Plus, both were abnormally strong men...hmmmm.

Your flattery works, Craftosaurus. I am honored by your post! I have to say, your beers sound really good. We haven't gotten too creative by trying to add additional flavors. I'll have to try that soon, using you as my source of inspiration.

Justin said...

I almost bought the Super Bunyan idea until I saw the sandwich. There's only one hero I know who is constantly eating turkey sandwiches. Mr. Circus.

Also, Super Bunyan sounds like a severe foot malady.

craftosaurus said...

L, I'm glad to hear that -- honored was definitely the intent! I'm pretty sure the brewing book you mentioned on your blog is the one The Awesome Husband referred to for suggested quantities of the vanilla and cinnamon, so if you add flavors, you've got a good resource.

Heh. You're very observant, Justin. Well, and stealthiness hasn't never been one of Mr. Circus's priorities. Calories, yes. Stealthiness, no.