Thursday, December 30, 2010

The Sincerest Form of Flattery: Part Four

Hey! I've got another blog you should go read! Justin over at The Declining is smart, witty, and observant, and he has excellent taste in music (go read about his self-designed Shuffle Challenge in particular).

In the spirit of Justin's discography analysis and musical comparisons, let's chat today about one of the songs I heard on the radio in the car yesterday. (Unlike Justin with his trusty ipod, I kick it old school and rely on my FM pre-set buttons when I'm driving.) My go-to station served up a nice little surprise for me, a veritable belated holiday gift for my ears: Cake's latest single, "Sick of You."

It's like a treasure trove of what I love about a good Cake song. Trumpet (of course... tug at those band geek heartstrings). Building layers of complexity, with harmonies on top of basslines and a little keyboard action. Awesome, awesome guitar riffs. Even that sproingy, ratchety thing (the technical term, of course). Interestingly, when the first chord left the speakers, I thought I might be hearing the Rolling Stones (odd, based on the radio station). A few bars in, though, the Cake sound was unmistakable. It actually made me happy to be stopped at a traffic light long enough to listen to the end.

4 comments:

Justin said...

I love those songs/bands that make you happy to be in the car a bit long. Little presents from the airwaves. Like right now, I've got Jamiroquai going and it's like a surprising, sensual bong of a present for hanging out at the computer. Go Cake!

craftosaurus said...

Ooh, Jamiroquai, another good one!

L said...

I believe that's called a vibraphone (snicker). I, however, have always referred to it as The Snore, since we used it as such in one of our elementary school pageant songs.

craftosaurus said...

Heh. The Snore. Love it. :)