Monday, May 31, 2010

Fitness Update. Or: I Hate Biomechanics

Faithful readers will remember that I'd gotten all re-energized about running... then my knees started to hurt, so I stopped. Then I figured out that my knee pain was caused by bursitis, so I went to a physical therapist. On learning that the underlying source of the issue is likely the low arches in my feet, I dutifully bought new running shoes, new regular shoes, and new sandals that cost more than the running and regular shoes combined, and I've relegated all my old, lacking-in-arch-support footwear to the deepest recesses of my closet. Well, to the non-eye-level compartments in my shoe organizer, anyway.

My knees are mostly better. A little stiff sometimes, but manageable, just in time to get ready to run a respectable time in a 5k later this month, and gear up for a 10k at the end of the summer. I'd mapped out a training schedule and everything.

You know where this is going, right? A new issue. Of course. If you guessed "arch pain," you win! My interwebs self-diagnosis indicates either plantar fascitis or a sprained ligament. Either way, the best course of action seems to involve a lot less running than I'd planned.

I'm filling in the gaps with arm workouts courtesy of our Wii system (and a resistance band that's more effective than I'd expected), the 30 Day Shred (though I'm not doing 30 days in a row, no sirree), and occasional attempts at Zumba classes. I think I might also incorporate turning-on-the-stereo-and-dancing-around-the-living-room more often, too.

2 comments:

L said...

Oh, that really sucks about the plantar fascitis (or whatever is going on). I know you really wanted to get back into running.

What arm workouts are you doing on the Wii?

craftosaurus said...

We have EA Sports Active. There's a bunch of workouts involving cardio and leg stuff that I haven't checked out yet (knee issues were in full force when we got it), but so far I haven't gotten too bored with their "difficult" upper body workout. It's mostly resistance band, with some punching, and it takes about 25 minutes.

Knees and feet are messed up enough to make me paranoid about running, but not so much that they really hurt a lot and feel like major issues requiring medical attention. Argh!