Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Ambitious or foolhardy? Perhaps both.

The SuperFiance and I ran a 5k over the weekend. Considering that I was sidelined by knee problems all fall and winter and I hadn't run more than a mile in one go since last summer, I was pretty pleased that I only switched to walking once, for about .1 miles. I can't say I was overly pleased with my time, but it does leave lots of room for improvement, so there's that to look forward to.

We're signed up for another 5k in June, which gives me several weeks to a) get faster and b) convince the SuperFiance that he can run ahead of me at his own pace rather than doing the slow-motion, chariots-of-fire thing just so we can run together.

That's all well and good. A faster 5k is totally doable. You know what might prove to be a bad decision, though? Signing up for the Trail to Ale 10k. Yes, that's a TEN before the k. I'll also point out that it takes place shortly after our wedding. I mean, yes, exercise should always be a priority and should never be put on the back burner because of scheduling conflicts or major life events or any number of other things, but man did I paint myself into a corner in terms of enforcing that policy.

If any local peeps are planning to run this one, let me know. We can meet up at the end, once I've shuffled across the finish line and you, presumably, will have finished, recovered, and had time for an ale or two.

No comments: