Dear Governor LePage,
I'll put this out there at the beginning: I didn't vote for you. I don't agree with your political stance on many issues (a notable exception, though, and credit where it's due: thank you for addressing the issue of domestic violence). Despite our many ideological differences, you are my governor and you are entitled to my respect as an elected official; my hope is that you will behave in a manner that earns respect as well.
I was disheartened to hear recently that you chose not to attend a meeting of the National Governors Association (NGA). Certainly, I understand that scheduling conflicts occur, and that one cannot attend all the events and conferences that are available to position our state for future success. What disappoints me is the reason you cited for choosing to attend the annual Potato Blossom Festival in Aroostook County instead of a meeting with your peers: you said "it's non-partisan and that's a problem, because it's gridlock. Everybody is divided and we can't get anything done." I also heard some of your remarks in a radio piece on the subject. I couldn't find a transcript of that statement, but I do recall that you cited what you view as a "politically correct" atmosphere at NGA events, and you feel you "don't belong" within that context. The radio piece also indicated that you've found attendance at Republican Governors Association events to be more productive.
Governor LePage, much like I recognize the need to maintain respect for you despite the disagreements I may have with your positions, I do wish that you would recognize that you govern all Mainers -- those who voted for you and continue to agree with you, and those who did and do not. To that end, perhaps you could consider attending nonpartisan events and trying to work with those who hold viewpoints across the political spectrum in our country. Engaging in productive conversation with governors of other states -- particularly those governors with whom you disagree -- might go a long way toward conveying a sense that you understand your role as governor of all of us Mainers, and toward earning the respect I referred to above. If you feel as though NGA events involve too much gridlock, may I recommend that you attend and try to be part of a solution? If you don't feel comfortable communicating your viewpoints in a logical, reasoned manner (which I assume you meant when you said you "don't belong" where there's so much "political correctness") I would respectfully suggest that you may be in the wrong line of work.
If the current state of the national political arena has told us anything, hasn't it told us that the country is yearning for and truly needs more discussion and collaboration across party lines, not less? I fail to see how retreating to the comfort of engaging with only those who share our opinions, tempting as it may be, will allow us to solve the challenges we face.
Skipping the NGA event serves as an example, but I implore you to re-examine your approach overall. Please reach out to and work together with people and groups of varying political perspectives. It is, in my opinion, an important part of the job you signed up for: governing all Mainers.
*Anyone wishing to share their opinion respectfully and without hostility is welcome to do so. Obviously, anyone in that other disrespectful and hostile camp is not.
Saturday, September 17, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
Excellent letter. Did you actually send it to the Blaine House? Gov. LePage makes me rage-y, and he's not even my governor.
The bipartisan gridlock in our country worries me - our elected officials sometimes appear to have forgotten that governing "for the people, by the people" means ALL the people. I wish more would work to be part of the solution.
Thanks, Kate! I haven't sent it, but I plan to.
I'm worried too. I've been trying to think of what I can DO about it, and this seemed like as good a place to start as any.
I agree about the gridlock. I always tell Australians that I like the system of checks and balances because I've seen it work really well, but they keep bringing up the times our government stagnates. It's frustrating and embarrassing to see this happening from afar.
If I had voted for your governor, I would still be mad that he was attending some potato fair instead of working with other governors. A governor is not just a pretty face.
That's a great point, L. Everyone is or could reasonably be frustrated by the gridlock.
Perfect
I admire your gumption and passion.
Thanks, Lance!
Post a Comment