Sunday, September 25, 2011

in bloom: sedum

There's only one item in the front flower garden that's remaining from the days of the house's prior owner. We've been taking out various overgrown shrubs bit by bit as new plants have gone in. The last of the evictees, the azaleas, got the boot a few weeks ago.

The one holdover we've permitted to stay is the sedum. It takes zero effort from us to look good, and it flowers at the end of the summer, when the irises are long gone and even the anemones are petering out. I think it's pretty cool, too, that it's a succulent but still manages to survive as a perennial as far north as we are.





6 comments:

Cameron said...

And the bees LOVE it!

craftosaurus said...

Indeed. One of the pictures that didn't make the cut had a bee dead center. They're big fans.

Lance said...

gorgeous flowers

craftosaurus said...

Thanks! Although really, there was zero effort put in here at all. At ALL. Like, so little that I feel odd accepting a compliment on them. They're the queen of low maintenance flowers (so of course I adore them).

Andria Crowjoy said...

I resisted pulling any sedum from Mr. J's yard, but now that's it's bloom I went over and grabbed one... split into 4 plants! I'll probably go get another couple for the front hugels. With the hardy mums I brought over in the spring, they'll look gorgeous next fall!

craftosaurus said...

Oh yes, that'll look AMAZING.