Friday, September 23, 2011
Best Ever Broccoli
No, we didn't grow this. Broccoli takes up a lot of space, and so far things in that category (see also, zucchini) haven't proven their worth of real estate in the garden.
It ended up being one of the best side dishes we've made in quite a while, though, so clearly grocery store produce can be pretty good.
Oven Roasted Broccoli
Broccoli, cut into spears
Olive oil
Rice vinegar
Garlic powder
Cumin
There are no quantities because it really, for sure, I promise, doesn't matter. This will taste good. I washed and drained the broccoli, then drizzled olive oil over it and tossed to coat. Then I drizzled some rice vinegar over it and tossed again. After that, I spread the broccoli out on a couple of cookie sheets and shook the garlic powder and cumin over it all. It went into a 375 degree oven (because that was the temperature for the chicken The Awesome Husband was making), and I flipped all the pieces when they had browned on the bottom.
Cook until it's done. For me, that means there's still a bit of crunch in the stems. For you, that might mean until it's solidly cooked through.
Enjoy!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
Not only does broccoli take a lot of garden space, but it also needs a lot of direct light and water. I have 6 beautiful broccoli plants that I set out from seedlings this spring, and have harvested zero broc from them because they're in a spot that apparently doesn't get quite enough sun. So they never did anything but grow big and leafy.
For my zucchini, summer squash, and cucumbers though, I got little A-frame trellises at Lowes that are about 2' tall. The vines grew up and down and all around those, which kept them from trailing out along the ground and taking over the garden. I think I had 6 cuke plants and 3 each of zuke and squash in a 4x4' area of my garden.
Aha! Zucchini on trellises would totally work! And I'll probably look into that for the cukes next year, too (good lord, those take up a lot of space).
Do you have another sunnier spot where you can plant broccoli next year?
Love this!
Thanks, Jo! It's a favorite around here, for sure.
Yum! I'm totally trying this recipe this weekend. It sounds fabulous. Also, I agree about the broccoli taking up too much garden real estate. :)
Hooray for gardening strategy! I hope the broccoli turns out great, Jane!
Post a Comment