Sunday, July 10, 2011

pleasantly surprised: spiced banana ice cream

I'm not a huge fan of banana flavored confections. I do love me a peanut butter banana smoothie, but otherwise, given an alternative, I'll usually choose the other thing. Unless the other thing involves black licorice. Then it would be banana all the way.

The Awesome Husband is a huge fan of both actually: banana-flavored everything and black licorice. I've not yet seen a recipe for black licorice ice cream (and no, you don't need to send me a link if you know of one, thanks!) but I did find this banana-centric ice cream recipe, and we took it out for a spin today. And modified it. Of course.

Spiced Banana Ice Cream
Adapted from this recipe.

2 c whole milk
1 c 2% milk
1/4 c brown sugar
1/2 c cinnamon-infused simple syrup (which we had an excess of because we keep it on hand for iced coffee, yummmm)
1 (3-inch) cinnamon stick
Several shakes of ground nutmeg
10 cardamom seed pods
5 whole cloves
1 medium banana, pureed
6 large egg yolks
generous splash of vanilla extract

Combine everything from the milk through the banana in a saucepan and bring to just barely a boil. Remove from heat and let stand, uncovered, for 30 minutes, to allow the cloves and cardamom to steep.

Bring back to a low boil. In a separate heat-proof bowl, whisk the egg yolks. Pour the milk mixture slowly into the eggs, whisking constantly. When it's all combined, return it all to the saucepan and continue cooking on low heat (no really, it's important) until the mixture coats the back of a spoon. Remove from heat entirely and stir in the vanilla, then chill it. Once it's cooled completely, put it in your ice cream machine and away you go!


This was much better than I expected it to be. The banana flavor is actually quite subtle and the spices are prominent. The batch may or may not be polished off within 24 hours. Or 12. Let's go with 24; it's good to have goals, right?

How's this for another goal: before the end of the week, I'll blog about something other than ice cream, peas, or Cecil. Promise.


5 comments:

MrsWhidden said...

that sounds delicious! I will have to make some when I get home from summer camp.

Kate Not Katy said...

If your garden is growing at the same rate as my parents', you will be blogging about beans by the end of the week. ;)
I'm also not overly crazy about banana-flavored concoctions, but that ice cream sounds pretty yummy.
(And how funny that my captcha word is begins with "nommy"!)

craftosaurus said...

Indeed, Not Jenny and Not Katy, I'd definitely recommend making a batch. "Nommy" sums it up perfectly.

Lisa said...

oooh! I'm not a huge banana fan but this looks great. I do enjoy bananas foster and this kind of reminds me of it!

craftosaurus said...

I've never had bananas foster, but I will say (I forget if I said this in the actual post, but eh, I've been redundant before) that this recipe actually tastes more like a cup of chai than it does like a cup of bananas. Chai with a hint of bananas, really.