Friday, June 18, 2010

twist my arm

Kelly over at Tearing Up Houses (go and read. trust me.) asked me to share some veggie-fruit smoothie recipes. Well, she didn't really ask, but she suggested that I should, and I'll take the slightest invitation to talk about tasty, healthy food, oh yes I will.

It's not that I don't like spinach on it's own, but we have more of it than we could probably eat while it's still good. (And it is kind of that I don't like beet greens.) Rather than waste the perfectly good nutrition sitting in the backyard, we started adding roughage to fruit smoothies. And lemme tell ya, they're good.

Version One
- 1 orange, peeled
- 1 banana, frozen
- 1 handful of blueberries
- splash of soy milk
- large handful of beet greens
Blend in a blender and enjoy. Serves two.

Version Two (pictured below -- I promise it tastes better than it looks)
- 1 granny smith apple, peeled, cored, and chopped
- 2 peaches, sliced
- 1 handful of blueberries
- large handful of spinach
- splash of orange juice
Blend in a blender and enjoy. Serves two.


Version Three.
No greens in this one, folks, because I've been making it this way for years and can't bear to mess with it. It's still reasonably healthy, though, and what it lacks in nutrients it more than makes up for in taste.
- 1.5 bananas, frozen
- about a half a cup of plain nonfat yogurt
- healthy splash soy or skim milk
- 2 to 3 tbsp peanut butter
Blend in a blender and enjoy. Serves two if you feel like sharing.

2 comments:

Kelly@TearingUpHouses said...

Thank you! I'm a huge smoothie person, so this is perfect for me! They all sound really good -- especially 1 and 3. I've never thought of putting an orange in a smoothie?! Love! I'm going to try that first one later this afternoon.

Kelly

p.s. You could pop a few almonds into that third one?

craftosaurus said...

How'd it turn out?

And yeah, I bet you could put almonds in any of them, actually. Orrrr, make them with almond milk! Must try that...