Tuesday, June 15, 2010

It's like I'm Goldilocks. Sort of.

Remember a couple posts ago when I said I was, to put it diplomatically, not the best at calling wedding vendors? No? That's ok, you can take my word for it.

What really triggered that statement was my inability to just set. up. an. alterations. appointment. already. I had called a few people and had actually gone to meet with one woman in person, with dress in hand. None of them felt quite right, and I was having a lot of difficulty committing to any of them. I'd even talked to my mother about whether she would feel comfortable tackling the project (she didn't), and if you know us, you know how easily that could have turned into World War III. I was clearly running out of options.

I still don't know entirely why this process stumped me for so long, but I'm chalking it up to instincts. I called one last seamstress this morning, and I couldn't feel more at ease with the idea of doing business with her. She was friendly and professional, and she didn't hem (heh) and haw about whether she can handle the alterations I need done. I hung up the phone nearly giddy with excitement to work with her. It felt like the right decision, and it was a very refreshing change.

It's pretty tempting to extrapolate from this that I should make all my decisions by waiting until one option makes me feel as though the clouds have parted and perfection has descended upon me. Tempting, but probably unwise.

3 comments:

Kelly@TearingUpHouses said...

I'm sure everything will turn out beautifully. But do it as early as you can. Trust me.

Kelly

Anonymous said...

Eh, that whole waiting-for-the-clouds-to-part thing is pretty much how Mason and I planned our entire wedding and it came off super-fab!

craftosaurus said...

So far we've been sort of splitting the difference: waiting for the clouds to part on some things, and for others, just pulling the trigger right off the bat because we don't really have a strong opiniong. We'll see how it all turns out!