Wednesday, June 23, 2010

We'll never be PBS reality tv stars...

The Awesome Fiance and I have a lot of similar interests and values (e.g., conservation and sustainability, politics, food that's delicious and nutritious, most music). I think it's a good thing that there are also several areas where our interests diverge (me: knitting, cute clothes, dance music. him: fishing, martial arts, guitar rock).

I realized how dissimilar our views in another area are, too: our dependence on modern conveniences. Mind you, I'm not the type to need my hair dryer with me at all times, but running water is definitely something I like. I'll go camping, but I prefer it to be in small doses.

So we were watching Frontier House, borrowed from the library (yes, we're huge nerds, but you knew that already, right?) , and we were talking about what would motivate a family to participate in this type of project. I know myself well enough to know that five months of frontier living would not go well for me (and that's an understatement). I asked The Awesome Fiance if he would ever consider something similar. His eyes lit up, and we had this exchange:

Him: I'd love it!

Me: Really? With no electricity or plumbing?

Him: Oh, sure. It's like camping.

Me: But the food rationing would be tough, wouldn't it?

Him: Nah. I'd be so busy with chopping wood and stuff to think about being hungry.

*pause*

Him: But you know what I'd hate?

Me: What's that?

Him: All the cameras. That would ruin it.


... so I guess I don't have to worry about him wanting to sign us up for anything like this in the future. Works for me!

No comments: