Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Saving Grace of the Day

Sometimes you just have to set yourself up for success by planning for a bright spot in your day by bringing delicious leftovers to work for lunch.  Mmm hmm.  Guess what I was eating this afternoon (oh, who am I kidding -- at 11:15 this morning)?  Black bean salsa with mangos and avocados, that's what.  Highly recommended at the end of a tough day, or preemptively packed in a tupperware just in case.

Black Bean Salsa with Mangos and Avocados
1 large can of black beans, rinsed and drained
1 mango, peeled and chopped
Sweet onion, minced (I used three slices of a large onion)
Splash of olive oil
Generous splash of lime juice
Pinch of brown sugar
Basil, mint, or cilantro, to taste
1 avocado, peeled and chopped

Mix everything except the avocado in a bowl; let it sit so the flavors can combine, at least an hour.  Add the avocado immediately before serving. 

We had this for dinner yesterday in wheat tortillas, but it's just as delicious on its own.

4 comments:

Bread and Circuses said...

Ssssooo yummy! Yay for protein and fruit all in one place!

craftosaurus said...

Delicious and nutritious!

L said...

Sounds tasty! We had black beans and I thought about making this recipe, but I didn't have any of the other ingredients. It's on my "for next time" list, though!

craftosaurus said...

Yeah, it's kind of a plan-ahead dinner, but it's worth it.