Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Doesn't everyone block sweaters in mixing bowls?

The stripey Icelandic wool sweater is all knit up, the thousand and one ends have been woven in, and I blocked it over the weekend. The yarn is taking its sweet time to dry, and the sleeves are still a little damp. In the meantime, though, I can show you what it looked like while it was soaking in a mixing bowl. Fascinating, I know.








Mmmm, wet wool.

And, just because I was asked so nicely for photographic proof, here are those boots I mentioned the other day. Note: they're lying on a carpet that I have a new found adoration for, now that it's cleaner than it's been in ages. We replaced our old, ineffective vacuum last week with a new model, and I'll admit I may have spent part of the weekend dancing around the house saying things like "our carpets look brand new!" and "this is our best purchase ever!" and "pet hair! it's picking up the PET HAIR!"

But, ahem, here are the boots:

6 comments:

Andria Crowjoy said...

Awesome boots!! I love that carpet too.

I must admit I have no idea what "blocking" means. :)

craftosaurus said...

Whoops! It's a knitting term (perhaps should have clarified). Once all the stitches are knit, blocking helps "set" them in place where they need to be. It's really helpful for lace, because it helps the motifs appear more crisply... and if a sweater is a smidge too short or whatnot, you can adjust it a little by blocking it. You can drench the whole piece, squeeze out most of the water, and let it dry in place, like I did, or some people use steam from an iron. Different fibers also respond differently: wool can be blocked pretty effectively because of the way the individual fibers stick to each other, but something like soy or cotton would be more difficult to change in a significant way.

So that's blocking! Probably more than you wanted to know. :)

Social Ninja said...

Can I ask what you got for a new vacuum that's so awesome? I'm in need of one.

Also, those boots are great!

craftosaurus said...

It's a Hoover "Windtunnel T-series," apparently. Bagless, retractable cord, just shy of $100 on Amazon (with free shipping).

L said...

I love your boots! I may get me some just like them!

craftosaurus said...

Thanks! The boots were from Amazon, too! :)