Wednesday, August 3, 2011

The peas are dead. Long live the string beans!

Yes, I think we've finally kicked the peas. Cue melancholy music, lots of plaintive violins and so forth. There are only a few pods still on the vines, and they're staying put for a while so they can dry out and fulfill their higher purpose of becoming seeds for next year.

Fear not, though, we're still awash with fresh-picked vegetable goodness.


And that's not all of them. The bowl there is 2 quarts, I believe. Some have been refrigerator-pickled, and many are destined for the freezer.

The tomatoes have got a lot to live up to this year.

3 comments:

Farmer Jo said...

Oh how I love, love, love green beans!

Lisa said...

thats awesome! my peas were pretty lame this year and don't think I will plant them again. as for the beans, I know where and when I will plant next year for a better crop!

craftosaurus said...

Aha! Learning for next year is always a good thing. Here, the thing that didn't grow was beets. So weird.

(and Jo! just seeing your comment! we still have plenty; stop on by. ;))