Saturday, August 13, 2011

fermentation, minus the hops

Ok, so I figure about half of you just thought to yourselves "no hops? what's the point?" But hear me out.

We made pickles last weekend, with nary a drop of vinegar in sight. Just cucumber slices, garlic, dill, enough brine (3 tablespoons of pickling salt per quart of water) to cover it all, a plate to weigh down the solids and keep them below the surface, and time (about three days).

Lemme tell ya, they're good. The cucumbers are from the garden, and we'll definitely be making this again to use up the ones that are jumping off the vines right now (this morning's count: 10). I'm looking forward to next year, when we'll have garlic and dill from the garden to use, too.

9 comments:

L said...

So are they sour at all? Or just salty? Ethan made pickled garlic, but it was a sweet pickle recipe and we didn't really like it for the garlic. We need to do something different next time.

craftosaurus said...

Hmm, a little salty, but I'd say mostly they're tangy. Definitely not sour in the sense of a sour pickle.

Andria Crowjoy said...

Yay! I've been so curious if they "made" or not! I had some that fermented the whole time we were gone and whooeee are they tangy! In a good way!

Picked elderberries last night and noticed our hops are nearly ready for harvest, not sure I have anyone who wants them this year... BB said the brew they made with the fresh hops was one of their best, interested?

craftosaurus said...

Yes, they're fantastic. I've been meaning to send you an update, but these days I don't have the time or memory to do anything if it isn't on my calendar. How long was it that the whoooeee pickles fermented?

Annyway, I don't even have to ask The Awesome Husband to get answer on this one: YES PLEASE on the hops!

Andria Crowjoy said...

The whooeee pickles went probably 3-5 days? But it was the dried pepper in them that made them whooeee. :D I have okra and Hungarian wax peppers fermenting now.

We'll save the hops for you and the Capt!

Andria Crowjoy said...

Oh oh you meant my whooee pickles. Those went 8 days in the brine.

craftosaurus said...

1. Thanks!

2. EIGHT?! Whooeee indeed!

Lisa said...

oooh that sounds good! tangy is awesome, sometimes much better than sour!

craftosaurus said...

Yeah, I can't handle sour. If it makes my face scrunch up, I'm gonna vote no.