Thursday, August 18, 2011

In bloom: anemones

... or as The Awesome Husband says, "ah... an enenemy... ah men ah... the pink ones."

We planted these in the fall of 2009, because they had a lot going for them:
- perennial! plant once and you're good for years to come.
- tolerant of partial shade
- blooms at the end of the summer (a key consideration when we were planting wedding flowers)
- oh so pretty

Last year they did ok. We got enough blooms to use them in the centerpieces for our wedding reception. I was a teensy bit concerned when they didn't all bloom the week before the wedding, but as it turns out, a mix of blooms and buds looked fantastic.

This year, they're apparently more comfortable in the garden, because they've really stepped it up. More flowers, and blooming earlier. So cheerful to see when I get home at the end of the day.








7 comments:

Kate Not Katy said...

So pretty! I totally need to plant some of those next year. Partial shade you say?

craftosaurus said...

Indeed, partial shade. And you should plant some this fall so they bloom next year. They're spreading a bit so keep that in mind if you don't want them taking over. It also means, though, that I bet they could be divided to give some to you...

Andria Crowjoy said...

I was so hopeful this would be the year mine bloomed, but no. They're still alive though and your's are so pretty we'll say they're worth the wait.

craftosaurus said...

Weird! How many years have they been in the ground?

Andria Crowjoy said...

This is the 2nd year they've come up... I think the first year I put them in they died back completely. They have a lot of competition though... sigh. Now that we have the fence going up I will rearrange my perennials, so maybe I can find it a nicer home (and wait 3 more years, ha!)

Lisa said...

beautiful! what lovely blooms! glad they are getting more comfy there :)

craftosaurus said...

Why thank you! :)