Sunday, May 22, 2011

Strawberries-in-waiting

Spring is finally, officially, and indisputably upon us. You know what that means, don't you? When nothing much of interest is going on in my life, I'll at least have garden pictures to post.

For those of you not in New England, we've had a lot of rain this month. I haven't watered at all, and everything's doing just fine. In the backyard we have peas, lettuce, and spinach that are sufficiently hydrated and will likely grow like gangbusters once the sun comes out, and I planted beets and string beans this afternoon. In the course of turning the soil in the raised beds for approximately 20 minutes, I found eight grubs. Wish me luck on getting a good night's sleep, nightmare-free, ok?

The front of the house, where we tried to grow most of our wedding flowers last year, is the site of decidedly less high-stakes gardening this year. We had a pretty poor showing of tulips and daffodils in April, so we took some time today and improved the soil with several shovelfuls of black gold from our compost bin. Moving black gold, I should say: the stuff was positively writhing with earthworms. If I didn't remind myself repeatedly how good they are for the soil, that image certainly would have been another candidate for nightmare fodder.

Anyway, the front garden is home to asparagus, azaleas, anemones, sedum, irises, and strawberries. The strawberries in particular are having a banner year so far. If half the flowers turn into berries, we should be set for several breakfasts' worth. I snapped some photos, none of which really capture the extent to which the strawberry plants are thriving, but on a whim I decided to try out some photo effects via Picasa's Piknik program. I left one photo unchanged for the sake of comparison (three guesses which one). I thought I was doing pretty well with my little point-and-shoot, but man, do the original images look disappointing next to their doctored counterparts!






Happy spring, everyone!

8 comments:

L said...

I hope that all your strawberries don't get eaten by a bad animal, like a bunny or a moose. I'm still disappointed from two years ago!

craftosaurus said...

I think we're safe from moose (there's usually one sighting around here every couple years, it makes the news and everything). Bunnies? Hmm, there must be some, but I haven't seen any. What I *have* seen (and shaken my fist at) are deer and groundhogs. We have fencing up around the backyard veggies, but the front yard doesn't seem to be popular. Fingers crossed that it stays that way!

Kelly@TearingUpHouses said...

I'm completely blown away. And jealous. I am sooo ungifted in this area. But I try!

Kelly

craftosaurus said...

Kelly, I should reiterate that our tulips and daffodils were pitiful this year. Like, four blooms over 25 plants kind of pitiful. And there's a reason I don't talk a lot about our lawn.

Besides, it's the trying that's important. What sorts of things have you planted in the past?

Andria Crowjoy said...

Were your tulips just late or nonexistent? Did foliage come up? My tulips are still emerging, if you can believe it! Some bloomed on time but about half are just opening now. So weird! Also, it bugs because now the poppies are starting to open and they clash with the tulips! Oh me and my first world gardening problems. :D

Chickens decimated my strawberry patch this year but I see a few stubborn hangers-on. You got all the strawberries this year!

craftosaurus said...

crow, there were about 15 tulip plants in terms of foliage, but only 3 of them had any flowers. Even those were puny (much shorter than they were last year, teeny flowers). I was talking to someone last week who said apparently serious tulip enthusiasts (if such a thing exists) plant new bulbs each year. Go figure.

And POPPIES?! I love them but forgot to plant any this year (tried planting them last year for wedding flowers, but nope, they would not be tricked into blooming in September. or growing. or anything.) Jealous! :)

Lisa said...

hooray for gardening! we live in new england too so its nice to see a fellow new england gardener blogger! I am growing strawberries for the first time this year along with lots of other vegetables. I am super jealous of your asparagus!

craftosaurus said...

Lisa, if it makes you feel better, we can't harvest any asparagus until at least next year because they have to be better established.

Good luck with your strawberries and veggies (whatcha growing?) - so far it's been a good year for watering, at least. ;)

And hey! A fellow New Englander! Hooray!