Mr. Fantastic and I ran in a 5k road race over the weekend (not the gold star moment). Between my knee issues, traveling to Germany, and battling a cold, there wasn't a whole heck of a lot of training going on. To be more precise, we did exactly two training runs in the two weeks before the race, and each involved about a mile of actual running. Given the circumstances, I'm fairly surprised that I finished the race in 36 minutes (still not the gold star moment).
For about a day and half after I crossed the finish line, I was all motivated to to back to running several times a week, focus on speedwork, and see what kind of time I can pull off at the next race we're signed up for. By 48 hours out, my grand plans were starting to fade in the face of after-work plans and stressful days, with their "you'll have a better day if you sleep an extra half hour" siren song. Not good, folks. Not good.
By yesterday evening, I'd spiraled into complete grumpiness, barely able to acknowledge what I knew rationally: I wouldn't feel reliably better unless I bit the bullet and made time for running, and getting seven instead of eight hours of sleep might be worth that. I set the alarm clock for Scary Early and kept the option of hitting snooze repeatedly in the back of my head.
This morning, though, I forced myself to get out of my cozy bed when the alarm first went off (if I hit snooze once, it's all over). I didn't run far, but I ran.
Gold. Star. Moment.

6 comments:
Good for you!!
Thanks! :)
Awesome! And thanks for the kick in the butt I need to start doing the same thing. I haven't been sleeping well, and have been using it as an excuse to sleep more instead of run. Except that I'm not sleeping well because I'm not getting enough exercise. Silly huh?
Made of Sun! Sorry for the late response! Yes, it's a viscious cycle, eh? Have you gone running at all this week?
so impressed! you definitely deserve a star! congrats!
:-D Thanks, Lisa!
Post a Comment