Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Branching out (yarn-wise)

I think I need to find a complicated project to cast on soon.  There's been a lot of TV knitting around here lately, and all that stockinette is catching up with me.  I definitely have a case of knitting ennui.

My go-to knitting interest element is lace, but I'm thinking I might try to learn fair isle stranded colorwork.  I used to focus on picking projects that would force me to learn new techniques, but I've gotten out of the habit in the last couple years.

Anyone have a favorite fair isle pattern to recommend?  Any tips to make the first few rows go smoothly?

2 comments:

Mariah said...

I'm going to be knitting oranje from knitty, once my second contrasting color comes back in stock and they send it out to me. I figure the mindless stockinette will be punctuated by the colorwork up top. And it's steeked -- a new thing for me.

As far as color work, I try to keep my colors separated by putting one in my lap, and the second one in front of me and to the right (usually on the floor). Then when I knit I always put colors in the same places and I don't have many issues. I also on twist stitches when I've got more than 6 in between colors. Otherwise, I just float them.

craftosaurus said...

Thanks for the tips, Mariah! Also: you're very brave to try steeking. Yikes!

(Your comment showed up when you posted it, then it went away, and I just saw that it's back. Weird! Thank you kindly for the comment. :))