Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Crusading in the Name of Logic: Wedding Edition

My idea for a whole series of posts pointing out that which is infuriatingly illogical hasn't really materialized yet. One post does not a series make. Well, there will be more on illogic from the world around me in the future, but for today the focus is the wedding-related illogic in my very own head. And yes, I am crusading against it.

I've been trying to keep the wedding craziness at bay, but it's been creeping in lately. Yesterday I had to remind myself that it does not matter whether we serve lemonade in a punch bowl or one of those cute glass decanters with a spigot. The SuperFiance helped me realize that we do not, in fact, need to put a personalized note to our guests on each and every favor, when a general thank you sign will serve the same purpose with much less risk to our sanity. There was also an alarming 15 second window during which I actually contemplated acquiring false eyelashes. (It has passed. I am me again.)

I think I might be battling genetics here. My (generous, talented, wonderful) mother is making our wedding cake, and she's taking worrying to new levels. Like, 6-test-cakes-in-the-past-two-weeks kind of levels. Requiring-our-taste-test-approval kind of levels. Um, it's cake -- pretty much always yummy.

So. We've tested the cake, and it was delicious, as I suspected. For good measure, we threw in a reminder (that I'd never have imagined would be necessary) that she should wear what she's comfortable with, colors be damned.* For our parts, The SuperFiance and I continue to remind each other what our priorities really are and what we should focus our energy on.

That, plus some running speedwork to boost the mood and clear the mind, and we should be good. I hope.



*Ok, I might not have worded it quite like that. But you get the idea.

5 comments:

Kelly@TearingUpHouses said...

Ohhh goodness. We got married last year and I so (SOOO) get this post. I GET IT.

Kelly

p.s. I went with the false eyelashes. And I have to say, it was a good choice, though if I'd put them on myself it would have been disastrous.

craftosaurus said...

Kelly, I've seen pictures from your wedding day... don't make me reconsider! You were stunning.

In all seriousness, I think that for me the fake lashes would be ridiculous. There's the obvious implementation issue (the hilarity would not, I suspect, be realized until weeks later), the fact that I never even wear mascara, and, best of all, I'll be wearing GLASSES for crying out loud. I still don't know what I was thinking for those fifteen seconds...

Anonymous said...

Ha, I feel ya. I was dumbfounded when my mother-in-law asked me what she should wear. I was all, "Um, whatever you like and feel pretty in?"

(FYI, I used a Lorac lip pencil on my lips and it worked really well -- stayed put all night with no transfer to Mason during the billionty kisses -- of course, I picked a soft mauve and not a bold red...)

(Oh, FYII, I've heard that sunscreen reflects light and will make you look ghostly in pictures. My usual tinted moisturizer has SPF in it so I specially got non-SPF tinted moisturizer for the wedding.)

Lynn said...

Ah yes, the crazies start to creep in no matter how hard you try. Skip the lashes and keep it you. And I agree, cake is cake. Wishing you a calm next week!

craftosaurus said...

Puppie, I've heard that about SPF somewhere else too, so thanks for corroborating it. I'll have to check out that lip pencil stuff too.

Lynn, yes indeed, will stay as me as possible! Thanks for the calm wishes. ;)