Like I've said before, this is a things-I-like blog. One thing I'm a big fan of is logic. You know, rational thought, arguments that make sense and use words properly, that sort of thing. High on my dislike list is blatantly faulty logic masquerading as that which is valid. So, in the spirit of encouraging critical thinking and spreading sound reasoning throughout the land, I'm taking a page from Kelly's book and starting a series of posts about lapses in logic I notice around me. Join me as I shine a proverbial light on their insidiousness! (Note: Kelly is plenty logical, but what I'm getting at here is her use of the blog series concept, to great effect.)
So. First up, a radio station identification/advertising spot I heard yesterday that went a little something like this:
Do you like [xyz component of concerts]?
Yeah, we do too.
You're one of a kind.
You're just the type of person who should be listening to [radio station in question].
I paraphrased the last line, but otherwise it'e pretty accurate.
Now, maybe everyone who likes a particular part of the concert experience will in fact like the same radio station. The connection is thin, but it could be there. What I take issue with is the first three sentences, clearly designed to transition in order toward a supported conclusion. But -- and here's where my eye starts twitching from the sheer illogic of it all -- if you like X and everyone at the radio station likes X (which I assume they mean by the line "we do too"), then you're not one of a kind. Well, you might be, but certainly not because you like X. The only way that sentence makes any sense at all is if it's disconnected from everything that precedes it.
"Do you like X? We like X too. The sky is blue. You should listen to us." That would have about the same effect.
Wishing you all a happy, relaxing, and well-reasoned weekend!
Thursday, April 1, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Ha! I will go over and over stuff like that in my head like, "Whaaat?"
Kelly
p.s. Feel free to highlight "Kelly is plenty logical," if you want. You know, italicizing and bolding it is not out of the questions either... Just sayin'...
I'm so glad to hear I'm not the only one who notices things like that!
More evidence of how logical you are, I'd say. :)
Post a Comment