Monday, April 19, 2010

Well, that settles that!

Remember when I wrote about our indecision with respect to reception decorations? How we weren't sure whether to go with mismatched bottles and jars to hold flowers, or to acquire plain, matching cylindrical vases for a more elegant and dramatic effect?

I never did get around to posting pictures of what the latter would look like. Sweetpeas and snapdragons submerged in water with tea lights is kind of hard to envision, I know. Trust me, it's stunning. And we're not using it.

We've opted to stick with the approach we initially thought of: cleaning up a slew of vintage bottles and jars that came with the house I bought years before I met Senor Stupendous. We should have trusted our instincts rather than continuing to seek out -- and get distracted by -- other, sleeker ideas that are aesthetically beautiful but not really in line with our personalities.

You know what matches our personalities really well? Using what we've already got. Incorporating a nod to my life before we met and his love of all things historical. Not stressing about whether everything matches, and having faith that it'll look great if we follow our instincts.

It didn't hurt that a couple of test cases cleaned up remarkably well, with nary a hint of their cloudy, dirt-encrusted former selves. Baking soda, it seems, can do anything.






Ideal, indeed. Thanks for the confirmation, jar!

4 comments:

Mariah said...

After a few forays into beermaking, we've learned that bleach water will clean out some of the ickiest things out of the bottom of a beer bottle, if allowed to soak.

craftosaurus said...

Ooooh, good to know! Thanks!

Brenda said...

What a nice idea. You two are going to have such a lovely wedding. I can't wait to see the pictures!

craftosaurus said...

Aw, thanks so much! :)