Apparently I'm going to have to remind myself a couple more times in the next few months to just trust my/our instincts with all this wedding-type stuff, already. Seriously.
This time it isn't elegant flowers and sleek vases distracting me, it's music. Specifically, a dj. Specifically, this dj (scroll down, he's in the last photo). Not some guy with a computer and a bunch of mp3s and a microphone, but an artist who uses vinyl and turntables to create something that's greater than the sum of its individual-song parts. Click around through some of the dj mixes over there and just try not to bust out with some dance moves.
I'm not genuinely, deep-down-in-my-heart-of-hearts disappointed that we won't be hiring him (although I *am* disappointed not to have an opportunity to rock out to his tunes at some other event). We're compiling our own music, and -- as with the bottles and jars as vases -- I'm excited about it because it's very us. The Awesome Fiance and I are music people, and while Mr. Flashdance there clearly has excellent taste, I think it's safer if we keep complete control of the set list (mostly so we make sure to include all the must-haves, of which there are many).
I have no idea what Mr. Flashdance charges for a fee, but that's probably another good reason to stick with the plan. We surely shouldn't be able to afford him if his rates are in any way linked to his level of talent. Plus, there's the pesky matter of him being located in California. And the fact that if he played our wedding, I'd spend half the night at the table asking about the songs. I mean, honestly, how cool is it to watch him at work? I find live artistry and musicianship (this guy, a really good band, whatever) so fascinating, but for this particular event I intend to be fully immersed in dancing with the wonderful man I will have just married (and lots of other loved ones), so recorded music will do just fine.
Plus, we found that most elusive and important of items this afternoon: a suitably danceable Rage Against the Machine track, free of profanity. So, clearly, it's going to be ok.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I mean if you have the profanity what else does Grandma really need?
Kelly
We used ipod at our wedding. We had a friend in a band who brought the amplification equipment, but there are also places where you can rent that stuff if need be.
@Kelly: perhaps we should put Sleep Now in the Fire back on the list. You know, for the sake of our elders. :)
@puppie: the venue actually has a sound system, we just need to test it out to make sure it'll work for us...
Post a Comment