So let's talk about how major life events can be happy and exciting in their own right, but also as opportunities for self improvement. Specifically (yes, I'm going somewhere here) I think wedding planning will be a good exercise in learning how to collaborate.
I always hated group assignments in school. Being at the mercy of randomly selected classmates and their level of effort to determine my level of academic success? Yeah, I wasn't a fan. I've mellowed a bit, but my tendency is still to prefer to maintain responsibility (er, "control") for projects myself. That's all well and good, but there are times when it's nice to work with others as a team. Especially when you can choose to work with people you like and respect, and when your eighth grade GPA isn't at stake. (Stop laughing. It felt important at the time.)
Enter: wedding planning. The Awesome Fiance and I want to make the day about more than just the two of us getting married. The way we see it, the day is also a celebration of all the people who love and support him, and all the people who love and support me, and the fact that those groups are converging to become a great big bunch of people who love and support us.
So, with that in mind, I'm fighting the urge to do everything ourselves, and we're asking people for help (*gasp*). One of the things we're doing in this regard that I'm most excited about is assembling a team of gardeners to grow wedding flowers. My mom, his mom, and a few other friends and family members who like to garden (and don't have other Big Life Stuff filling up their proverbial plates) will be allocating space in their yards for seeds and plants I'll be handing out, then we'll all cross our fingers for things to bloom when they should. And if they don't, well, that's what the farmers market is for.
Like I said, I'm super excited to work with these folks and be able to point to the resulting floral loveliness as a successful team effort. I'm hoping they're excited to be involved, too. Bring on the planting!
I, for one, would be a smidge more excited if I hadn't had to scrape frost off my car this morning. Maybe this whole wedding planning thing will teach me about patience, too...
Wednesday, April 14, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I love your garden idea! Special!
Kelly
Thanks! Cross your fingers for a sunny summer, mkay? :)
Post a Comment