I've already mentioned that I've had to take an extended, infuriating, grump-inducing hiatus from running. I've been going to physical therapy and doing exercises to get my knee back up to snuff. The decline of fitness has been inevitable, though.
Over the weekend, I decided to put a toe back in the shallow end of running. As much as I don't want the progress I've made to be destroyed by overuse too soon, I'm also wary of being too inactive by way of paranoia. If I don't get back to training, I'll never get back to my former capacity (such as it was). So I ran, a very little bit. Very little. I did six minutes total, broken into three two-minute segments, separated by walking. I didn't listen to music, lest I be tempted to keep going through a particularly high energy song. And I didn't push myself with speed or hills.
It was lovely. But now I really, really hurt.
Monday, March 1, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I'm sorry about your injury...I've been there! Do you have a gym membership or indoor pool around? I did pool running back when I had to take a couple of months off and it was wonderful for keeping me in shape. They've actually done studies showing that you can maintain the same fitness level by switching to pool running for six weeks versus training on the street. Look into it!
Thanks for the suggestion! I do have access to a local pool, actually. I've already found that swimming laps is beyond my abilities and water aerobics is tough but doable. :) I'll have to add pool running to the cross-training mix...
Post a Comment