Friday, March 5, 2010

zen and the art of wedding planning

All the wedding-y decisions we've made so far have been surprisingly, blissfully, almost oddly easy. We look at our options, we let ourselves ruminate for a bit (if we have to at all), and without fail one option presents itself very clearly as the one that feels right for us. Our venue? We walked in and promptly forgot all about the list of seven other places we'd considered. We went back and forth on whether we should do favors and ended up getting really psyched about what we've decided to give to everyone, once we thought of it. And don't even get me started on how I found my dress (which I should totally tell you if I haven't already -- 97% off retail, bay-bee!)

The big decision that was making me nervous, though (and of course that means "the decison I was trying to postpone as long as possible"), was the invitations. SuperFiance kept suggesting that we start thinking about them, and while I agree with him that deciding these things now will make our lives easier in a few months, my tendency toward indecision put me in flight, rather than fight mode. There are a LOT of different types of invitations out there. Elegant, whimsical, vintage, modern, professionally printed, DIY. Gah!

I bit the bullet and agreed to sit down and look at some possibilities last night. By the time I reached my thoroughly-overwhelmed threshold, we had a few possibilities flagged for future inspiration at the very least, and one design that we liked more than the others.

About an hour later, the solution became apparent, and in this case the answer wasn't a vendor or a location but a frame of mind. I looked at SuperFiance and said "hey, if we look at those invitations again on Saturday and still like the same ones, you wanna just buy them?" No rethinking, no hassling with fonts and graphics and paper cutters and dimensions in a quest to make every last element of the day as "us" as it can possibly be.* They'll be "us" enough because we like them. And we'll be much, much happier making a decision and moving on.

I wonder how long we can put off deciding what to use for reception decorations before the it'll-all-fall-into-place approach works for that, too?



*We're picking our battles and playing to our strengths when it comes to projects (hello, home-grown flowers). We're ok as garderners, but graphic designers, not so much.

8 comments:

L said...

I think your attitude is very wise. When we got married, I felt a lot of pressure to do everything from scratch, to make it really alternative and cool by having everything be different. Then I started running out of time and realizing that you know what, I just wasn't going to make my own invitations and that was just going to have to be okay.

But you know what? Some part of me still feels guilty about the things we did conventionally. How lame is that?

JennJoi said...

Have you posted any pictures of your venue space? You can pick our collective brains for decor ideas!

craftosaurus said...

L, did the things you did conventionally end up with results you were pleased with? That stinks to still feel bad about certain elements.

Puppie, I just might take you up on that. We narrowed it down a little bit today but could definitely use some guidance on how to achieve what we're thinking. Will post soon...

L said...

Yeah, I was happy with the results. I mean, like we just went with a typical wedding venue, where everything was catered for us, and it was tasty and fine and soooo much easier than doing it ourselves (especially with the whole deployment and everything). I guess I just have this weird lingering sense of guilt about being conventional. Also, I really wish I were crafty, but I'm not, so I feel kind of like a girl failure when we just buy stuff instead of making some awesome thing.

L said...

I should add, we did other things that were more "us", like having a magician for entertainment, and the DJ played our music (which wasn't the standard stuff). So we didn't have the standard Knot wedding or anything.

JennJoi said...

By the way, finally got our disc of pro pics from our wedding. flickr is currently saying the pics are 57% uploaded... If you're reading this on Monday they're available to see.

http://www.flickr.com/jenniferandmason

craftosaurus said...

:) Oh, L, not to worry! Purchased invitations does not a Knot wedding make, and I didn't think that about your wedding for a second.

Puppie, your pictures are LOVELY! So much joy in them. *sniff* At this point, yes, I have photos of the venue, but only in the form of a slideshow our photog sent us of someone else's wedding. If I can figure out how to share some of those without unnecessarily putting unsuspecting strangers on the internet, I'll put some shots up here....

JennJoi said...

Sounds like a job for livejournal. ;-)