Thursday, December 3, 2009

30 Rock is Dead to Me Now

I've never been a big fan, actually. Its lead-in, The Office, is a favorite for sure, but I've never gotten into the 30 Rock thing. Today, I will stop trying to appreciate the quirkiness and instead accept the fact that perhaps I'm not trendy-nerdy enough to *get* it. The writers crossed a line that's near and dear to my heart, and thusly I have given up on them entirely.

One of the characters, with not nearly enough -- or any, really -- sarcasm, just slung at Tina Fey's character a scathing insult: "big-hipped." We're talking about Tina Fey here, who is my height and who used to weigh what I weigh, then "hit it big" and proceeded to lose thirty pounds. The woman is not, by any definition, "big-hipped." Thanks, 30 Rock writers, for contributing to the ridiculousness that is our culture's body type expectation. And for making it acceptable to use disparaging body image comments in nonchalant banter. I am not impressed.

Roar.

5 comments:

L said...

That's very insulting. Anyway, you're not "big-hipped", at least what I can tell from your pictures.

I never really liked 30 Rock anyway. The Baldwin guy (I don't even know which one he is) annoyed me.

craftosaurus said...

Oh, that's very nice of you, but my point wasn't to do with whether I'm big-hipped. Rather, that if I lost 30 pounds I DEFINITELY wouldn't be. And that population culture finds it an acceptable insult... for women (here, Tina Fey) for whom it's decidedly inaccurate.

Farmer Jo said...

I have to say, I love 30 rock.. not that I am uber hip writer person, whatnot.. I just think it is hilarious. My hubby thinks it is awful and doesn't think anything about it is funny. I hear you though about the "big-hipped" thing. Basically ALL the stupid wieght and size comments in pretty much everything I read or see pisses me off.
No one is good enough as they are seems to be the overriding message these days...

KellyMellyBoBellyBananaFanna said...

i didn't get 30 rock either (i'm not a huge tina fey fan), but my husband got me into it. i think baldwin is brilliantly funny, which is ironic, since i usually can't stand him.

in terms of hips -- and i might be off base here -- but are you certain that she used to weigh what you weight? i thought i'd seen a picture or two of you modeling your sweaters on here, and it looks like if you lost 30 pounds you'd be, well, dead. seriously? but then, maybe you just carry it differently? either way, i agree that tina fey doesn't look "big-hipped". but i'm usually not looking at her hips, so what do i know?

kelly

craftosaurus said...

Holy belated responses, Batman!

But yes, Jo, what pisses you off is exactly the stuff I was getting at.

And Kelly, yep, I suspect that if I lost 30 pounds, I'd either be dead, or I'd at least have some severe health concerns goin' on. (The internets say that my BMI would be decidedly in the healthy range, but I bet you can guess what I think of that.)

Ms. Fey has been pretty vocal about what she used to weigh and how much she lost, and I've heard these figures from several sources, and not just recently. So yeah, I weigh what she used to weigh. That said, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if one or both of the numbers she keeps quoting were inaccurate (as part of the smoke and mirrors of the entertainment industry).