Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Must. Be. Patient.

Here's what I've been reminding myself constantly over the past few days:

It isn't safe to plant the tomatoes yet. It isn't safe to plant the tomatoes yet. It isn't safe to plant the tomatoes yet....

But oh, it's so tempting. The weekend was lovely and sunny and sleeveless-comfortable. Yesterday was in the eighties. The eighties! That kind of weather isn't what I'd choose for myself, mind you, but for the vegetable garden it's deceptively ideal. A quick check of the week's forecast indicates that overnight temperatures will be in the mid-thirties or higher as far as the eye can see (which, admittedly, is not that far when one is looking at a weather forecast). I really, really want to move the tomato seedlings currently hanging out on a window sill in the living room to the garden, outside, where they can soak up the sunshine and fresh air and loveliness of spring.

It isn't safe yet, though, because spring also brings frost. Realistically and reluctantly, I know this. Planting this week would pretty much ensure a few frosty nights next week (thank you, Murphy), a lesson I learned last year. Oh, the carnage. It wasn't pretty, and I won't let it happen again.

Thank goodness I've got some peas popping up already to tide me over on the progress-watching front. They were planted the first week of April, 'cause they can take the cold. My kind of vegetable. Mm hmm.

Shown here next to the fence that will eventually serve as a support trellis. I hope.

No comments: