Saturday, February 12, 2011

Simpleton Taste Buds and a Recipe(ish)

I like elaborately prepared food as much as the next gal, but it struck me this morning how some of my hands-down favorites are simple combinations of a handful of ingredients. Green olives and avocados in mustard vinaigrette salad dressing? Best part of my work-lunch salads (and I would totally make a batch of just that if it weren't for needing to eat vegetables too). Romaine lettuce, light mayo, and melted American cheese on whole wheat toast? Possibly better than a BLT (possibly). And then there's the homemade muesli I've started making, inspired by the breakfasts we ate on our honeymoon. We don't set out platters of meats and cheeses and vegetables each morning like they did for us in Reykjavik, but the muesli is here to stay.


Easy Peasy Muesli
Oats. A bunch of oats. Maybe 3 or 4 cups.
Chopped walnuts. About a cup, give or take.
Craisins, to taste. I use a quarter cup, if I had to guess.

Mix the oats and the walnuts together in a baking dish. Place in the oven on the bottom rack. I always do this while I'm pre-heating the oven to make something else, so I don't think an exact temperature is important. When the oats start to turn golden brown, either shake them and turn the pan around (if a lot of the oats are still pale) or take them out of the oven (if the browning seems pretty uniform). Once they've cooled, pour the oats and walnuts into an airtight container, add the craisins, and shake to distribute.

This stuff is highly, highly recommended sprinkled over yogurt. I mix plain and vanilla to balance taste and the "wow, that's a lot of sugar on that nutrition label" factor, but I bet any flavor would work well.

That said, it's already been decided that we're totally having this for breakfast tomorrow morning. The drooling has already begun.

No comments: