Tuesday, February 2, 2010

I *heart* serendipity. Also spinach.

Though appearances of late might indicate otherwise, this is not a food blog. It's a things-I-like blog, and I happen to like food. In particular, I like tasty, healthy food made from fresh ingredients. And so, apparently, I blog about it quite a bit.

Yesterday evening, Sir Fantastic and I had decided to make homemade pizza. The dough for the crust was made by the time we realized we didn't have tomato sauce. White pizza it was, with an amalgamation of toppings decided on by rummaging through the fridge and grabbing whatever items even remotely made sense. And so, we ended up with the following pizza:

fresh spinach
mushrooms
carmelized onions (left over from an also-yummy dinner last week)
mozzarella
walnuts

A serendipitously delicious combination, to be sure, but my inability to properly keep track of cooking times led to another happy accident: by over-broiling the pizza, we managed to toast the walnuts to complexly-flavored perfection.

We'll definitely be having this for dinner on purpose in the future. Here's hoping we'll be able to recreate it in all its flavorful splendor.

No comments: