Tuesday, October 20, 2009

What I've been up to, book-wise...

As I alluded to in a recent post, I've been reading again. Wonder of wonders, three years of lengthy case law assignments didn't ruin the written word for me forever... I, apparently, just needed two years of distance and the lion's share of a year's worth of unemployment to turn it around for me.

So. I'm super excited about my recent library finds. Jhumpa Lahiri's Unaccustomed Earth has been accompanying me to the gym lately, short stories being perfect for the amount of reading time one can get through in a bike workout.

That one might have some competition, though, becuase the books I picked up yesterday (oh, how I love the online request feature of my local library, complete with online notificaiton when items from across the state are ready to be picked up at the branch a mile from my house) are callin' my name. I've got Bill Bryson's A Walk in the Woods, not only because I've heard it's well written, because it feels like it should be required reading for me, being engaged, as I am, to Mr. Outdoorsy. For a rare foray into nonfiction, I've got Tom Hartmann's The Last Hours of Ancient Sunlight, which looks fascinating (though, I hope, not too depressing). In case it does turn out to be all doom and gloom, I've thankfully also picked up Christoper Moore's Lamb: The Gospel According to Christ's Childhood pal, Biff. Heh. Biff. Even the title makes me laugh.

2 comments:

Holly said...

A Walk in the Woods is one of my all-time favorite books.

craftosaurus said...

I can't wait to read it even more now, with all the senitments like yours that I've heard in the last few days when I've mentioned it to people! :)