Thursday, October 1, 2009

Uber-Homemade

I'm oddly motivated to make foodstuffs from scratch today. Maybe it's the recent successes egging me on (apple-bran-whole-wheat muffins, pumpkin risotto, heavily modified pesto), or maybe it's the fresh ingredients needing to be used up (apples -- so many apples -- from an orchard adventure a few weeks ago, leeks in the garden, minimal amounts of spinach and lettuce in the garden).

I think the underlying culprit, though, is a continuing desire to eat affordable, wholesome foods. We aim to steer clear of processed foods in our household, mainly for health and mindful nutrition reasons (pricing differences usually don't hurt, either). Even in trying to make smart grocery choices, though, it's easy to fall into the "wow, that's a lot of unnecessary ingredients" trap. There are lots of high-fiber options in the bread aisle, which is great, but it can be tough to find one that doesn't have high fructose corn syrup, or any number of other substances I just don't need in my system, and doesn't cost four dollars. Our bread machine and about three minutes of measuring time does the trick splendidly (though I'd also like to try one of the many versions of no-knead bread out there). Pasta sauce? For years, I steadfastly stuck with the one brand I'd found that offered an option without added sugar, until I realized that the sodium content was through the roof. Canned tomatoes + herbs and spices + red wine + immersion blender = problem solved! And don't get me started on salad dressing (if you add mustard to oil and vinegar, it acts as an emulsifier and is darn tasty to boot, yo).

So, getting back to today: I've got a batch of yogurt -- which I've never attempted before, so cross your fingers for me -- going in the crockpot. Next up, I'll set up that bread machine I was talking about, once I decide whether to make regular whole wheat or cinnamon-raisin whole wheat. I'm also hoping to attempt (another first go!) a batch of homemade mayo this afternoon.

I do not, as yet, have any desire to venture into the homemade-protein arena by raising livestock. Awesome Fiance, if you're reading this, you can rest easy there!

3 comments:

L said...

I've been making more and more homemade things lately too. I've really gotten into making homemade bread, but I love to knead it, so no breadmaker for me! I don't like yogurt, so that's a no-go for us, though.

Of course, with finishing up school, my homemade bread has gone by the wayside. But I hope to get back into it once things slow down just a tad!

Heather said...

Aw, come on Sarah, just an urban chicken or two? Where's your sense of adventure.

Word verification: livabi. I kind of like that.

craftosaurus said...

Fresh eggs would be might tasty, I'm guessing. Hmm... I wonder what the zoning is like in SoPo? :)

L, I'll be in the same boat when (if... no, when!) I'm employed again. I know the bread baking will suffer. It'll be worth it, though!